CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 06-07-2011, 10:29 AM   #31
Justin Heller

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength Works

I started at 135 on the squat a few weeks back and I'm going for 200x5 tomorrow, still no signs of stalling, although the sets are slowing down a bit.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #32
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Clark View Post
Alright, I think I will restart this week starting with about 35 lbs less than what I am at now, and I am doing GOMAD because I am about 6'1 and i only weigh 165, (170 now with a week of gomad). I did crossfit for about 2 months and just got tried of now seeing the results I wanted. I of course got in much better shape and got more "fit" but I play rugby at my school and I really just need to beef up and see increased in my strength. I am thankful you guys told me this, now that I know I failed on 185 yesterday when i get back to 185 in a few weeks and it seems easy I will be ecstatic. Thanks for the help.

I would drop down to about 110-115 to be honest. I know, it seems pointless and it won't be doing much, but in 1 month of SS you will be adding 60 lbs to that. Essentially you add 15 lbs a week. You really don't want to hit your 5rm until week 5 - week 6, it extends your gains on a program like this, aka you will be able to keep going longer until you stall.

I started Crossfit football at 215lbs on my squat... about 15 lbs shy of my 5rm. I stalled at my 5rm. Discouraging to say the least, but also taught me the hard way that following the program the way it is written is the only way you will get the results others are seeing from the program. I dropped back to 160 on my squat...I'll hit 240 my next session and I don't see myself slowing down any time soon.

Trust me, start light, lighter than you think you need to. Get the most out of the program because resetting sucks. It's discouraging. On SS you'll be adding 60lbs/month on your squats and will quickly see huge gains.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:46 PM   #33
Michael Dowling

Profile:

good point david, i'm doing 70s big and you only squat twice a week and go up 10 lbs.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #34
Travis Rask

Profile:

Start low and aim high.

I think my first week I was squatting like 115. We made a few 10 pound jumps and slowly moved up from there.

I believe my 5 rep max was 225, it went to 315 after 12 weeks. I (foolishly) took a week off due to vacation, had a little too much fun while I was there and came back pretty weak. I'm pretty certain I had a few more weeks of LP left in me.

So, if you can, don't take any breaks while you're still progressing. You'll regret it.

I've moved on to Greyskull LP and am enjoying it so far. The GOMAD was great but I got a little too fat and needed to pare it back and start conditioning for my job again.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #35
Justin Clark

Profile:

sounds awesome, i will definitely drop down today and just start over, I am doing the GOMAD in hopes of getting bigger, im about 6'1 and i only weigh around 165 (170 since gomad) I just want to be bigger and stronger, i hope i dont gain too much fat
Old 06-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #36
Justin Clark

Profile:

So I reset to squat-115 bench-95 deadlift-185
Old 06-09-2011, 05:58 PM   #37
David Z Sachs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Clark View Post
So I reset to squat-115 bench-95 deadlift-185
Very good, glad to see it. Now just lift, eat everything in sight, and sleep. 3 months you'll be squatting 300 lbs!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #38
Justin Clark

Profile:

hit 190 on squats today, didn't feel like I was close to getting stuck either
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 PM   #39
Jonathan Vechet

Profile:

Keep on truckin', and don't worry about when your lifts will stall. It'll happen when it happens.

Everyone's different. Some people can prolong their progression longer than others. I personally only added 90lbs to my squat. Not great, but nothing to scoff at either. Just keep doing what you're doing.