CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 03-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #11
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Re: Starting Strength success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latham Fell View Post
Now I'll go back to my regularly scheduled metcons.

Thanks for reading!
Make sure to keep some small amount of dedicated strength work in, even if just once a week.

In my experience a few months is not enough time to cement long lasting changes and if you go back to all metcons all the time you will lose that strength in a hurry.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:50 AM   #12
Sean Andrews

Profile:

Starting strength in the works:

Feb 22/11squat 145X5X3
press 100X5X3
bench 145X5X3
Dead 265X5
bwt = 165#

March 30/11Squat 230X5X3
Press 130X5X3
Bench 185X5X3
dead 305X5 (1RM = 385# @165#bwt)
bwt 180#

Also doing power cleans and chins/pullups with back extensions.
I too am "just doing the program" and loving the gains. Just decided after 3 years of crossfitting that my strength was holding me back from moving forward. I agree with Tamara "forget the age bull****!" I'm 38 and there are alot of guys older than me moving alot more weight and eating a ton. Did start a bit conservative on starting weights but have not stalled on any lifts yet. The point of this post: SS works if you do the program!
Old 03-31-2011, 01:07 PM   #13
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Andrews View Post
Starting strength in the works:

Feb 22/11squat 145X5X3
press 100X5X3
bench 145X5X3
Dead 265X5
bwt = 165#

March 30/11Squat 230X5X3
Press 130X5X3
Bench 185X5X3
dead 305X5 (1RM = 385# @165#bwt)
bwt 180#

Also doing power cleans and chins/pullups with back extensions.
I too am "just doing the program" and loving the gains. Just decided after 3 years of crossfitting that my strength was holding me back from moving forward. I agree with Tamara "forget the age bull****!" I'm 38 and there are alot of guys older than me moving alot more weight and eating a ton. Did start a bit conservative on starting weights but have not stalled on any lifts yet. The point of this post: SS works if you do the program!
you and i are starting a strength program and near the same age and strength level. i also started pretty low and i'll probably start adding 20 lbs per week to my squat and deadlift for a few weeks, should get me near where you are there. press is probably exact and bench will be right there in a few weeks. i took my 5 RM's and subtracted about 20-30 lbs so i didn't stall out right away.

my goals are to squat 350, deadlift 400, press 200 lbs, and bench 300 lbs.

i stopped my crossfit classes for the next three months to get there.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #14
Justin Heller

Profile:

Thinking of doing starting strength because like others have said, I feel like my overall lack of strength is limiting my performance in WOD's.

I understand Mark suggests not doing ANYTHING else while on SS, but I really don't see these workouts taking 45 minutes to an hour, so what's the big deal with doing a regularly scheduled WOD after the strength work?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM   #15
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

A guy in this post says his DL 5RM is 400 and his 1RM is 425.

Another guy says his 5RM is 305 and his 1RM is 385.

What is a reasonable difference between a 5RM and 1RM DL? Sorry to hijack but I found it intriguing. (That one's guy 1RM is not even 10% above his 5RM while the other person's 1RM is over 25% more).
Old 04-01-2011, 05:45 PM   #16
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Heller View Post
Thinking of doing starting strength because like others have said, I feel like my overall lack of strength is limiting my performance in WOD's.

I understand Mark suggests not doing ANYTHING else while on SS, but I really don't see these workouts taking 45 minutes to an hour, so what's the big deal with doing a regularly scheduled WOD after the strength work?
You don't understand.

You cannot recover.

And, once you have been doing SS for more than a few weeks, your squats alone might take 45 minutes to an hour. At the end of my LP on squats, I was resting 9-10 minutes between sets.

But, you can try it and see just like the thousands of other people who have tried it. Because if it worked to do SS plus WODs, lots of people would just do that.

If you want to keep conditioning, just do Justin's 70's Big program.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #17
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

LOL, 45 minutes to an hour??? You've obviously never done the program.

Once it gets heavy and you are resting 5-7 minutes between working sets... come back and tell us how you performed your session in 45-60 minutes. Maybe during your first 1-3 weeks when things aren't so heavy and you cut rest periods short. But like Tamara said, after a few weeks, when you're setting PR's every session on all lifts and you find that you need TONS of rest between working sets... 90+ minutes for the whole session is more realistic, sometimes close to 2 hours.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:26 PM   #18
Sal Ocampo

Profile:

Follow SS on how it is designed. My sessions would last at least two hours. I too was eventually resting 10mins between sets. It sucked and it was miserable. I actually enjoyed the increase of rest days and really looked forward to them. It helped with various injuries.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
Justin Heller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
LOL, 45 minutes to an hour??? You've obviously never done the program.

Once it gets heavy and you are resting 5-7 minutes between working sets... come back and tell us how you performed your session in 45-60 minutes. Maybe during your first 1-3 weeks when things aren't so heavy and you cut rest periods short. But like Tamara said, after a few weeks, when you're setting PR's every session on all lifts and you find that you need TONS of rest between working sets... 90+ minutes for the whole session is more realistic, sometimes close to 2 hours.
I'm sorry was it not clear that I have never done the program? I don't understand why people have to be so arrogant around here. What a joke.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 AM   #20
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Heller View Post
I'm sorry was it not clear that I have never done the program? I don't understand why people have to be so arrogant around here. What a joke.
I don't think anyone is responding in an attempt to be arrogant. It's more that trying to add metcons to SS is one of the most frequently discussed topics here.