CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Christine Theodore Amicucci

Profile:
hip flexor issues and squats

I'm 27. When I was about 17 I did quite the number on my hip flexor, tearing it really bad and losing nearly an entire soccer season and spent a swim season swimming all sets pulling only b/c I just couldn't kick without pain.

I've worked out and been playing soccer as an adult since and have pulled the same area about once every year or so. Sometimes while playing sports or working out, sometimes by turning funny while walking.

I have been crossfitting for about a month now, and squats are very difficult for me. Initially, I had trouble getting a full, proper form and ROM squat. But I have gotten better and can get in a few squats before it starts to bother me (although admittedly much slower than most everyone else.)

I know that I need to take it slow and work up to being able to do them, but I'm just wondering if anyone else has any experience working through something like this.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: hip flexor issues and squats

This should help you out wfs

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/0...uscle-strains/

If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

You're really going to have to work with the resisted eccentrics. That's the best way to rehab/strengthen them to help prevent re-straining
Old 08-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Michael R. Miller

Profile:
Re: hip flexor issues and squats

I tore my hip flexor last year, and it has taken me sometime to get back into it. I would also look into getting the posterior chain stronger, it worked for me and I have not had a lot of issues since then. I still have some complications with that area but its much better, it use to be a chronic issue so the tearing was good in a way because it forced me to strengthen the surrounding muscles instead of putting it off.