CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-07-2010, 03:04 PM   #21
Tim Huthert

Profile:
Re: Gastric Band Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Robert, didn't you know? The members and lurkers of this board love to pass judgment on what they can see, rather than take into consideration the things that go on behind the scenes that they can't...AND refuse to admit the possibility that such things might be going on. It's far easier to feel self-righteous that way.

Carry on
Why the dig on your fellow cf'ers?
Old 01-16-2010, 12:28 AM   #22
Randy Person

Profile:

I guess I would have to disagree with some on here. Yes, gastric bypass does not work for those who have compulsive eating disorders. Traditionally that overall failure rate has only been about 5%. Over the last five years with the proliferation of the surgery theoverall failure rate has risen to about 11%. So for every person that regained their weight, I can show you nine that did not.

I had the RNY gastric bypass surgery in March of last year. I have been a diabetic for twenty years and over the last four years had to add insulin to my health regiment and was up to about 500 units per week. I had high blood pressure and was about 90 pounds overweight being 6' and weighing 280 pounds. Since last March I have lost 85 pounds, my blood pressure is normal, and I am no longer technically a diabetic, having come off my medication and having normal blood sugars and HBGA1c's.

Lest you say well if you had just worked out you could have accomplished this on your own. The summer before I had surgery, I went on a supervised diet of 1500 to 1800 calories per day and excercised for 60 to 90 minutes each evening doing mostly long bike rides. I started slow as it was a new activity at only five miles per night but quickly advance to nightly rides of 25 miles with some 40 mile rides on weekends. Over a four month period I put well over a thousand miles on my bike and only lost six pounds. My doctor said he was afraid this would be a problem as my metabolism was pretty much shot from the diabetes.

Three weeks ago I discovered Crossfit and am working on the Beginners Ladder. This has been a Godsend as one of the downside of a gastric bypass is that along with the loss of large amounts of weight you also lose most of you muscle mass.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:32 PM   #23
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
I went on a supervised diet of 1500 to 1800 calories per day
What were you eating?

I find it very improbable if you only lost 6 lbs eating Paleo

Also, 1500-1800 cals when you're 280 lbs is probably starvation diet... your body probably didn't want to drop weight even besides the metabolism
Old 01-16-2010, 12:56 PM   #24
Sam Ser

Profile:

i have interviewed several people who had undergone gastric bypass surgery, as well as several of the top physicians in israel who perform the procedures.

(you can read the article here if you're interested: http://samser.wordpress.com/2008/12/...themselves-up/ it's WFS.)

understand that this is not a vain thing like a tummy tuck. the surgery is essentially a last-ditch effort to save people's lives. these are morbidly obese people who suffer from an array of health problems that seriously erode their quality of life and almost assuredly shorten their lives.

yes, they got there through terrible habits. almost all of them, however, have lost lots of weight... and put it back on... and lost tons of weight... and put it back on. the odds of them turning their lives around permanently are pretty much zero.

so, they do a gastric bypass of some kind. (there are several kinds.) but THAT ISN'T THE END OF THEIR TREATMENT. at least here, a strict diet is usually prescribed, a lengthy and involved follow-up procedure is included, and sometimes psychiatric therapy is included as well. yes, some people fail -- but because they fail to take advantage of this treatment, not because the treatment is shoddy.

criticizing this procedure is like saying an alcoholic shouldn't go to rehab. (hey, that works a lot less than gastric bypass does!) yes, people should be able to handle themselves, but we all know that not everyone can do it alone.

in any case, gastric bypass is only the tail end of a true public health epidemic. yes, the main focus should be on preventing obesity. but this is worthwhile, too.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
Randy Person

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
What were you eating?

Also, 1500-1800 cals when you're 280 lbs is probably starvation diet... your body probably didn't want to drop weight even besides the metabolism
Steve, I never even heard of the Paleo diet until I started reading about Crossfit. I was eating a standard diabetic diet, with very limited grain based carbs. My "diet" was only a couple of hundred calories less than I was normally consuming and had been consuming for the four years since I went on insulin. When you stick yourself four to six times per day to be compliant, you know how different foods will affect your blood sugarsand you know what your calorie intake is each day.

Beleive me I know what a starvation diet is and how it affects you body. I lived it the first five months after my RNY gastric bypassand there were times I had to add calories to keep the weight coming off.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #26
Ivan Wolfe

Profile:

I know this thread is over a year old, but I did a search, and since this is on my mind, I figured I would resurrect the thread.

My fiancee has a "lap band" that she got over a year ago. She has lost over 70 pounds since then, and has started running half-marathons.

Right now, she mostly does running with some weight training (mostly machines), but she's seen me do CrossFit and is intrigued. She's even said she'll "try it out" for at least two months (after the marriage - we live in different states right now, but the marriage is set for May of this year).

I can't really say I'm a fan of the lap band, but seeing her pictures from before we met, I can't say it was a bad thing for her. She realized she had a problem and went out and did something about it. She has also changed her diet to one lower in carbs and higher in protein, so there's an improvement as well.

In the end, I decided whatever makes her happy. She doesn't want to get rid of the lap band yet - if ever. I'm not going to argue. I hope she like CF once she tries it, but I'm not going to push it.

Though I wonder how the lap band would affect doing CF. When you press on her stomach, you can feel the band through the abs. I have no idea how it works, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be dislodged by intense exercise that works the muscles in that area?

I don't know, really. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?
Old 01-27-2011, 06:35 PM   #27
Steven Low

Profile:

Talk to her doc about exercise.

I don't think it would interfere though... but don't take my word for it.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #28
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
What were you eating?

The body doesn't "choose" to lose weight. Starvation diets and not losing weight because your body is holding on to everything you eat is hog wash and a myth that needs to go away. Our bodies are amazing and do some incredible things, but deciding when it wants to shift weight is not one of them.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #29
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
The body doesn't "choose" to lose weight. Starvation diets and not losing weight because your body is holding on to everything you eat is hog wash and a myth that needs to go away. Our bodies are amazing and do some incredible things, but deciding when it wants to shift weight is not one of them.
No, that's not right.

Look up some of Stephan's stuff on body fat set point.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 PM   #30
Megan Zetter

Profile:

Quote:
No, that's not right.

Look up some of Stephan's stuff on body fat set point.
Explain anorexia then. And I don't know who Stephan is. Additionally, at sufficiently low calories there is no way in #$%@ a person will gain weight. It's just not thermogenically possible to gain while under fueling. Hormones can do funky things to us, such as water retention and decreased metabolism, but the body can only "fight" for so long.