CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 09-14-2009, 08:58 PM   #11
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:
Re: Any endomorphs out there make any training tweaks?

Well I have done the paleo zone deal for 8 months now. I have seen some weight loss. However it hasnt done all of the cosmetic stuff that everyone claims. My performance has gone up which is as advertised. I have played around with different block numbers from 16-19 blocks. Neither one has helped me lose any dramatic amount of body fat.
Just to give you an idea I am 195 pounds now 6'2". I am at about 16% body fat, it is all around my waist though. I have a 5:57 Fran, and I am not even seeing an outline of a six pack. That isn't the only reason I train and diet but it would be nice if all this work had some kind of effect on my physique. If you have any suggestions let me know.
So what I have concluded is that you just have to try a bunch if different diets to see what works. I was going to try the anabolic diet. I will say this about the zone you do feel good and your performance will go up for sure if you follow it strictly. However I havent seen any change in my appearance, it all depends on what you train for.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lee Sattro View Post
Well I have done the paleo zone deal for 8 months now. I have seen some weight loss. However it hasnt done all of the cosmetic stuff that everyone claims. My performance has gone up which is as advertised. I have played around with different block numbers from 16-19 blocks. Neither one has helped me lose any dramatic amount of body fat.
Just to give you an idea I am 195 pounds now 6'2". I am at about 16% body fat, it is all around my waist though. I have a 5:57 Fran, and I am not even seeing an outline of a six pack. That isn't the only reason I train and diet but it would be nice if all this work had some kind of effect on my physique. If you have any suggestions let me know.
So what I have concluded is that you just have to try a bunch if different diets to see what works. I was going to try the anabolic diet. I will say this about the zone you do feel good and your performance will go up for sure if you follow it strictly. However I havent seen any change in my appearance, it all depends on what you train for.
Curious Richard how many calories were you taking in per day?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Are your food measurements accurate? I've been doing zone/paleo for about a month on 16 blocks and I've seen a DRAMATIC decrease in bodyfat... and I'm much smaller than you. It could be that your food choices and food composition is good [hence the increase in performance] but your food quantity is too much.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Richard Lee Sattro

Profile:

Well I am taking in about 2000 calories a day now. I was at 16 blocks and for my size it was good but when I increased the blocks to 19 I had a huge boost in energy and my performance saw yet another boost.

My measurements have been accurate. It takes me about 6 hours on Sunday to cook all of my weeks meals. I alos keep a food log so that I am forced to see on paper what I have been eating. I recently just started that fitday website. According to that I am consuming 2700 calories a day, while according to doctor sears I am at about 2000.

I wouls like to go on the record as saying the gains in performance are hard to beat. For example today I beat my coach for the first time. So I am just going to have to tweak my diet. I was looking at the Anabolic Diet, but there are just too many mixed reviews for me to get a good idea as to how it works. Right now I am going to continue to tweak my diet I guess.

If you have any suggestions let me know. By the way according to fit day my diet while following the Zone to the "T" my diet is 60% fat. Thanks for your input.

Carlos if you are training for performance primarily go for the Zone its benefits on performance have been huge.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:59 AM   #15
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Well I am taking in about 2000 calories a day now. I was at 16 blocks and for my size it was good but when I increased the blocks to 19 I had a huge boost in energy and my performance saw yet another boost.

My measurements have been accurate. It takes me about 6 hours on Sunday to cook all of my weeks meals. I alos keep a food log so that I am forced to see on paper what I have been eating. I recently just started that fitday website. According to that I am consuming 2700 calories a day, while according to doctor sears I am at about 2000.

I wouls like to go on the record as saying the gains in performance are hard to beat. For example today I beat my coach for the first time. So I am just going to have to tweak my diet. I was looking at the Anabolic Diet, but there are just too many mixed reviews for me to get a good idea as to how it works. Right now I am going to continue to tweak my diet I guess.

If you have any suggestions let me know. By the way according to fit day my diet while following the Zone to the "T" my diet is 60% fat. Thanks for your input.

Carlos if you are training for performance primarily go for the Zone its benefits on performance have been huge.
There is a summary of Dr. Sears' Nutrition Seminar (http://www.fit4younutrition.com/feature-article.html WFS) and although he does advocate upping changing the ratios, he does mention that you should stay closer to the prescribed zone ratio with fat until you see your abs. Then bump it up from there. Perhaps try that? I know you said you aren't interested in that, but that might be a minor tweak you could make, hopefully performance dosen't suffer to much. And with Avocados at $2 each () this time of year perhaps you'd save some money...
Old 09-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #16
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Are your food measurements accurate? I've been doing zone/paleo for about a month on 16 blocks and I've seen a DRAMATIC decrease in bodyfat... and I'm much smaller than you. It could be that your food choices and food composition is good [hence the increase in performance] but your food quantity is too much.
I agree foods might be right but you may be taking in too many calories. Also I try to avoid using fitdays calorie counts for anything else more than fruits and veggies because I have found that the numbers are really off from the products that I purchase. Double check your numbers something as simple as eggs for me we easily 20 calories and several grams of protein and fat off
Old 09-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Regarding training for performance or aesthetics I'm primarily focusing on aesthetics now (ie losing fat) which will have a direct effect on my increase of performance
Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gato View Post
Regarding training for performance or aesthetics I'm primarily focusing on aesthetics now (ie losing fat) which will have a direct effect on my increase of performance
I hate to throw a monkey wrench in your program but I think you got this backwards. You need to watch Pat Sherwood's video on intensity. Intensity is the independant variable most commonly associated with maximizing the rate of return of favorable adaptation; ie, increased performance and lowering BFP.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #19
Carlos Gato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Cristan View Post
I hate to throw a monkey wrench in your program but I think you got this backwards. You need to watch Pat Sherwood's video on intensity. Intensity is the independant variable most commonly associated with maximizing the rate of return of favorable adaptation; ie, increased performance and lowering BFP.
hey Carlos (great name by the way lol) I understand what you are pointing out and believe me I have been a firm believer in high intensity training for years I would do max-ot and Hiit style training which are shorter training sessions but at the highest possible intensity.

I end every one of my crossfit workouts either huffing and puffing on the floor or walking away with wobbly legs. I give each workout my all and I am constantly seeing new PR's, my last workout (power snatches with 400 meter runs) I was feeling pukey the whole time lol
Old 09-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #20
Brandon Tullos

Profile:

Zone is a great investment, one of my friends who crossfits did it for 16 days and got a nice six pack from it. However, for someone like us because i am shaped that way as well there are some factors and things you have to consider. One, people who store fat mainly in the abdomen are going to burn fat every where else before the body attacks the tough brown fat in the stomach area. Also, when deciding on the blocks for the zone if you choose to do that you have to think about whether you want to eat more and workout harder or eat less blocks and try to loose the weight. My friend who got the six pack said he was hungry all the time and struggled to workout as hard but lost the weight. However, in nutrition and losing weight there is a simple rule of thumb burn more calories than you eat. So a suggestion would be eat a healthy diet with lean protein(chicken), low sugar and fats, and try to adjust calorie intake to the type of workout for the day. For instance, if its a long cardio day, eat more calories mostly carbs cause those will burn the fastest. On strength days less calories and more protein for muslce recovery. But as i said to lose weight eat less calories than you burn that will get your body to eat away at your fat storage.