CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #21
Shawn Casey

Profile:
Re: What is considered fit?

I've never seen health or wellness as a component of fitness in any definition with components.
I think it's the other way around. Health directly impacst where your arrow lands on the CrossFit wellness-ometer. So, different levels of health must be components of levels of wellness. An american diet and a fitness routine of video games and TV will inevitably lead to sickness so they must be components( more like inactivity). Strict weigh and measure of paleo foods followed by CrossFit or something similar will produce Superwellness, depending on your current level of wellness. All kids raised on the latter will no doubt always be superwell.

Actually health and wellness are the same thing so health is on the same spectum with fitness. Fitness would be superhealthy.

Last edited by Shawn Casey : 03-08-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #22
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Casey View Post
I've never seen health or wellness as a component of fitness in any definition with components.
I think it's the other way around. Fitness and health directly impact where your arrow lands on the CrossFit wellness-ometer. So, different levels of health and fitness must be components of levels of wellness. An american diet and a fitness routine of video games and TV will inevitably lead to sickness so they must be components( more like inactivity). Strict weigh and measure of paleo foods followed by CrossFit or something similar will produce Superwellness, depending on your current level of wellness. All kids raised on the latter will no doubt always be superwell.
Treu, but one can be super fit but not necessarily be super well. Athletes who use performance enhancing drugs would be a good example
Old 03-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #23
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
umm... right. i don't know how you got the idea that, when i said, "fitness is a measure of wellness," i meant the two were mutually exclusive.

in any case... clearly, being injured is a degree of unwellness. and since developing an injury is obviously not the GOAL of a fitness/wellness program, i don't think injury is relevant in this discussion.

to try to get this train wreck of a thread hijack back on the track of the original poster's question, the issue that is up for discussion is the standard for performance in CrossFit. and i believe i dealt with that.

sure, CrossFit is not the ONLY way to reach a high level of fitness, either general or specific. and if anyone wants to argue for or against CrossFit being the BEST way to pursue fitness, either general or specific, they're welcome to do so, without involving me, in another thread. if anyone wants to argue that CrossFit is not actually the pursuit of general physical preparedness but a specific measurement of fitness in its own right, they are also welcome to do so in yet a third thread.

this one started out innocently enough, and ought to end that way.

I meant to say inclusive. That's what happens when you type without having had your coffee
Old 03-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #24
Shawn Casey

Profile:

I edited my previous reply
Old 03-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #25
Shawn Casey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
Treu, but one can be super fit but not necessarily be super well. Athletes who use performance enhancing drugs would be a good example
I figure athletes that aren't healthy would have to be put into another catagory or someplace elsewhere along the spectum. There are great althetes in there field that eat like crap. There are paleos that don't exercise.

These would both be placed somewhere in the spectrum.

Dave tate is very, very strong. Until recently he ate like crap and had a ton of injuries. Maybe a paleo/zone diet might have prevented injuries and put him higher on the spectrum.

Not to mention you have to bring in the 10 components of fitness.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #26
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

I'm of course pointing out extreme examples. By most people's standard a devoted CF'r would be "fit" and probably have a higher degree of health than the average person/ I'm simply pointing out that "fit" is as difficult to define as "toned" or someone feeling "fine". Any definition you choose to use is arbitrary by nature.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:46 AM   #27
Scott Spencer

Profile:

crossfit Albany Phases:
http://www.albanycrossfit.com/my_weblog/phases.html wfs
Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #28
John Alston

Profile:

Any component of fitness that takes into performance will shortchange wellness. Witness the active injury board here.
General fitness is often a poor fit in certain situations. So again, I have seen no good reasoning against the idea that fitness must be bound to an object to make sense.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #29
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Alston View Post
Any component of fitness that takes into performance will shortchange wellness. Witness the active injury board here.
General fitness is often a poor fit in certain situations. So again, I have seen no good reasoning against the idea that fitness must be bound to an object to make sense.
Please name a situation in which general fitness is a "poor fit." What does that phrasing even mean?

As far as injuries go, compare a person who turns an ankle landing a box jump on the way to a firebreather Kelly time, to an overweight person who can't climb a flight of stairs without stopping to rest. Any definition of "wellness" that makes the overweight person "healthier" than the injured firebreather is, IMO, useless. My own experience with injuries is that they are extremely frustrating, but they go away. Poor general fitness just keeps on eroding quality of life, day after day. There's a big difference.

Katherine
Old 03-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #30
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrison View Post
I'm of course pointing out extreme examples. By most people's standard a devoted CF'r would be "fit" and probably have a higher degree of health than the average person/ I'm simply pointing out that "fit" is as difficult to define as "toned" or someone feeling "fine". Any definition you choose to use is arbitrary by nature.
The average person's fitness is so poor that anyone who meets the "30 minutes, 3x per week" exercise standard would probably surpass it.

Katherine