CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-17-2004, 10:03 PM   #1
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Here is a nice write-up from Charles Staley's Fitness Bootcamp by Chris Shugart at T-Mag: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do...amuh?id=522629

Be sure to read the comments. Can you find Bxx Gxxxxxx?

Tyler
Old 11-18-2004, 11:06 AM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Nice catch, Tyler.

All I can say is plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Mike
Old 11-18-2004, 11:23 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
HE LIVES. Wow, that brought back some bad memories. Tyler, you hit it out of the ballpark with your statement about overlaying a speciality program over your regular program. Perfect point and you notice he did not respond.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Best quote from the article, about our friend Dan John: Visualize a really strong Tasmanian devil on his third pot of coffee doing a stand-up comedy routine. Just like at the CO Summit!
Old 11-18-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
Pat Janes

Profile:

I have to admit to feeling a little envious of those of you over there in the US. Talk of Staley's Bootcamp and the Colorado Summit, make me realise how far we are from (probably ever) being able to organise events like this.

I concede that my neck of the woods (Brisbane) will never host such an event, as we don't have the population to support it, but even the larger cities such as Melbourne or Sydney probably couldn't pull it off, due to numbers and the distance from the rest of the world.

<sigh>... my wife and I have been talking about trying to put together a trip for the family to visit Disneyland etc. I wonder if she'd mind if we detoured to Santa Cruz for a little while..?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:32 PM   #6
Mike Minium

Profile:
Pat,

For CrossFitters, CFHQ is Disneyland.

Mike
Old 11-19-2004, 01:43 AM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Whoa, I just realized that my post was censored. Normally that would bother me, but in this context it's hilarious. B@# G@#$@#$ is definitely a dirty word!

Pat,
Do you have any idea how easy it would be to convince a bunch of us to head down to Australia to do a workshop? If I could even come close to breaking even, I would be puttin shrimp on the barbie with you guys next week. How is the weather in March?

Tyler
Old 11-19-2004, 02:28 AM   #8
Justin Jacobsen

Profile:

Eureka!

Its been discovered! Ladies and gents, this has GOT to be the infamous pull-up program. I must admit, my curiosity about the secret method has remained long after the waves stopped rocking the boat. If you are the same way, check it out.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=404137

And to think of all the grief we went through for what appears to be a pretty solid method! I guess some people just enjoy being difficult.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:48 AM   #9
Barry Cooper

Profile:
My goodness, that's like Bigfoot and a Roswell alien in one picture.

I remember Coach saying your max set is a multiple of the reps that are just a warmup. If you can do 3 easy sets of 10, you ought to be up to at least 20-25 reps. So it sounds like the PROGRAM is basically the CrossFit warmup, with the obvious difference that we do a whole lot more pullups than that when you factor in the WOD.

Ay Carumba!!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:07 AM   #10
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

I'm not sure I have the right to comment because there are so many others here who are more knowledgable than myself, but, that said, this is what I've been thinking since I checked out this thread yesterday.

It's too bad that Zeb or "he whose name shall not be spoken" have to take such a self rightious position in their posts. As Justin said, his "method" seems like it could be effective (he also seems to address Tyler's concern about overlaying a specialty program over one's regular program by suggesting that one not do their regualr program for a couple weeks while focusing on preparation for a pullup competition. But, maybe that's the problem, i.e., having to take a break from one's regular program in the first place.)

In the end, in my opinion, any type of exercise program (i.e., Crossfit, HIT, GTG, Power to the People, Westside, Periodization) can work as long as one works with enough intensity, consistantcy, and (and this is the big point I've learned from Crossfit) variety. I also think that one program will work better for one person than it might for another. Part of that might be physiological, but, I think, a bigger part of it is probably psychological - what we think is the best method will work best for us.

Again, it makes me think that it is too bad that some people go into a discussion with the attitude that their way is the "best" way. If this guy had said something like "Hey I don't find that GTG is always effective for me so here is what I do" then I bet many more people would have listened to him and gotten something out of his ideas. One of the things that I like about the Crossfit message board is that this more respectful approach, one of making suggestions without suggesting that they are the only solution, is the way folks here contribute.