CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 09-23-2006, 06:54 AM   #1
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Phil Pfister is this year's World's Strongest Man! Won the last five events in a row to take the title from Mariusz Pudzianowski. First American to win since the early 80's.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:23 AM   #2
William Winger

Profile:
I would think there would be a disclaimer (on this site at least, not his sponsor's) that he's the World's Strongest anything goes Man. I mean, metrx actively sells steroids and other performance enhancers, so it's not like he's doing all that himself. Sure, he works hard, but I'ld like to see a clean version of the sport.

My .02

(Message edited by dubdub on September 23, 2006)
Old 09-23-2006, 09:00 AM   #3
Laurie Bowler

Profile:
Hey William, we are with you on that one! Excited that an American won but we would so much like to see a clean version of the sport that when we hosted Mt. Rainier's Strongest Man in August we randomly drug tested.

Laurie
Old 09-23-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
William Winger

Profile:
Yeah Laurie, I know the 'feats' they do are amazing, but I do personally feel seeing a clean athlete do those things (even to a lesser degree) would be cooler.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #5
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
William,
I think he is clean, which is the reason I posted that. The guy that came in second has been busted for drugs before so I was happy to see him beat by someone I think is clean. The guy is 6'6" and can pass a quarter through his wedding ring and did quite well his first few contests with not much training at all. So I think it is quite possible and actually likely he is clean. He is also a Firefighter and I think his bosses would probably frown on drug use.
I have pretty strong feelings about drugs as well which is why we tested ours. To accuse someone of using drugs just because they won the WSM is, well, not right.
I did not intend for this to be a debate on drug use. I think it's pretty cool an American finally won and was waving the flag so to speak.
My guess is if this thread continues down this path it will go into pukies bucket.
So let's try to keep the accusations out of it.
Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
William Winger

Profile:
Yeah, I've been having reservations about that. My first post was really a rant against drugs, and I did jump to conclusions. I didn't intend to soil his win, and I do take pride in it, as an American.

What I said stands on drug use in general, and I continue to assert that drug use is rampant in METRX WSM competition, but I apologize if my opinion was unfounded in this case.

Sorry Kurt, I didn't mean to hijack your thread, my bad everyone,
William
Old 09-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #7
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
William,
Unless you have personally purchased steroids from MetRx, please keep the wild accusations to yourself.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
William Winger

Profile:
I will.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:29 PM   #9
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Thanks William, no worries. I get pretty defensive of the guys I think are staying clean.
Kurtis
Old 09-25-2006, 02:39 AM   #10
Ralph Coates

Profile:
ah come on - I know in an ideal world all sports would be clean, but I don't think you can dismiss someones achivements outright because they used drugs. Go to your local gym and have a look at some of the steroid users there - how many of those could get anywhere near what these guys achieve? Very few. I know it may rankle with those of use who choose to stay clean, but I really don't think steroids are the missing ingredient between where we are at right now, and an olympic gold medal/wsm title/whatever.

Anyway, congrats to Pfister, a quality achievement to beat Mariuz.