CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-01-2011, 11:22 AM   #11
Ramon Gomez

Profile:
Re: Main Site WOD + Strength???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
What exactly is the point of going to a box if they're just following main site?
Access to equipment? Community?
Boredom?
Old 09-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

I dont see anything wrong with a .com box so whats the big deal? I would rather an owner know his limits and admit hey I can not program a metcon but I can build strength, or I can teach you the movements and provide you a space with equipment and the community that helps make the misery, that are some WODs, easier.

I give my clients the .com WODs and have them do the strength work I give them I have seen nothing but good results and better numbers then most.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #13
Aidan Dawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Johnson View Post
I did this for a year or so, request that your box follows a week or cycle behind so you always know what is coming up next then you can plan accordingly.
Thanx Mike, Our box does run about a week behind so this bias program is going to fit in nicely
Old 09-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Are you suggesting that the only reason to go to a box is for its programming?

- Mark
Ditto on this. The access to equipment, the community, and the coaches are all other reasons to go to a .com box.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:39 PM   #15
Daniel Frankel

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
I dont see anything wrong with a .com box so whats the big deal? I would rather an owner know his limits and admit hey I can not program a metcon but I can build strength, or I can teach you the movements and provide you a space with equipment and the community that helps make the misery, that are some WODs, easier.

I give my clients the .com WODs and have them do the strength work I give them I have seen nothing but good results and better numbers then most.
Just because a box follwos .com does not mean that they cannot program a metcon at all. All it says is that they feel that .com's programming is their preferred method of training their athletes. .com is pretty good at programming for a great all-around athlete.

Most people go to a box for the coaching and community. If you don't know how to snatch, or deadlift, or push press, your best bet is to find a coach.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #16
David Hare

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Kozlowski View Post
Check out something like Crossfit Strength Bias CFSB (It's in the Journal). I've been using it since March with good results.

I've had the exact same question as the original poster, and my confusion with CFSB is how do you pick the metcons? You can't simply follow the mainsite for the metcon b/c it might be heavy squat day and the metcon is a squat focused metcon. My concern with just picking the metcons yourself from the list of wods is you might not challenge yourself properly.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #17
Bob Cieszkowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
I've had the exact same question as the original poster, and my confusion with CFSB is how do you pick the metcons? You can't simply follow the mainsite for the metcon b/c it might be heavy squat day and the metcon is a squat focused metcon. My concern with just picking the metcons yourself from the list of wods is you might not challenge yourself properly.
I'm on my 3rd cycle of CFSB and follow main site for the metcons. Rarely is there an issue with overlap. If there is some regarding the strength work and the WOD I just pick another WOD. I will also pick a different WOD or scale it if main site doesn't fit the recommended time domain for that day.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
David Hare

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cieszkowski View Post
I'm on my 3rd cycle of CFSB and follow main site for the metcons. Rarely is there an issue with overlap. If there is some regarding the strength work and the WOD I just pick another WOD. I will also pick a different WOD or scale it if main site doesn't fit the recommended time domain for that day.
Thanks.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:26 AM   #19
Tracey Blackman

Profile:

Do you know there are so many people asking these questions I'm suprised one of the Mainsite guys (Greg has so many great people around him now) hasn't decided to add an option Strength wod alongside the Mainsite programming to help - That would be perfect!

They know what the programming is and can program the strength work around it - it would be a godsend to people who struggle to program thier own strength work along side Mainsite programming.

I know there are lots of programs out there but so many people struggle to implement them along side mainsite wods, especially those that can't get to or afford a box.