CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 AM   #1
Ross Dijulio

Profile:
Automatic Entry in to 2011 games?

I see on the open site that jason khalipa and matt chan both are registered. But Jason is a past games winner and Chan got fourth in last years games. Who has secured automatic entry in to the 2011 games? and who has secured entry into regionals? or did HQ change their standards?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:17 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Automatic Entry in to 2011 games?

According to one of the videos everyone has to qualify through the online sectionals--there are no automatic passes to regionals.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
William Clark

Profile:

I'm pretty sure all previous champions get automatic bids for life, along with the top 5 finishers from the previous year...don't know other than that
Old 03-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Clark View Post
I'm pretty sure all previous champions get automatic bids for life, along with the top 5 finishers from the previous year...don't know other than that
That's what they said after the 2008, 2009, and 2010 Games, but in one of the videos for this year Tony Budding was pretty clear in saying that everyone needed to qualify and that there were no automatic qualifiers.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Charles Applin

Profile:

I never cared for the "games competitor for life" rule. However, I did like that the top five got seats at the games the next year with automatic regional seats for all game competitors. On the other hand, it's good to see how this new format works with a blank slate. We're going to see if 20,000 goes to 1000 goes to 60 in a predictable way.

It's part of the reason I'm REALLY hoping that the top 100 from the open are spread throughout the Regionals. Worst case scenario is the top 100 performers are all in two regions (not likely at all), meaning you have the top 6 performers at the games going against 44 others that couldn't crack top 100.

Unfortunately, we're already seeing a weakness in the Asia, Africa and S. American regions. That's 9 seats at the games that's determined from 300 registrants. Compare that to the 42 other seats determined from 29,000 registrants. Personal opinion, but the open registration should have allowed people to CHOOSE their region to compete upon registration and not base it just on what the address happened to be at the time of registration. Plus if you're in the top 100 you can choose your region at the end of the open.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #6
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
I never cared for the "games competitor for life" rule. However, I did like that the top five got seats at the games the next year with automatic regional seats for all game competitors. On the other hand, it's good to see how this new format works with a blank slate. We're going to see if 20,000 goes to 1000 goes to 60 in a predictable way.

It's part of the reason I'm REALLY hoping that the top 100 from the open are spread throughout the Regionals. Worst case scenario is the top 100 performers are all in two regions (not likely at all), meaning you have the top 6 performers at the games going against 44 others that couldn't crack top 100.

Unfortunately, we're already seeing a weakness in the Asia, Africa and S. American regions. That's 9 seats at the games that's determined from 300 registrants. Compare that to the 42 other seats determined from 29,000 registrants. Personal opinion, but the open registration should have allowed people to CHOOSE their region to compete upon registration and not base it just on what the address happened to be at the time of registration. Plus if you're in the top 100 you can choose your region at the end of the open.
I pretty sure that coach said in a video they are taking the top 60 fittest for the games. He then said if your the first in your regional but finish 62 you still wont make the games. He then went on to say all this meant was you were the fittest in your region but not in the top 60.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:41 PM   #7
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swanson View Post
I pretty sure that coach said in a video they are taking the top 60 fittest for the games. He then said if your the first in your regional but finish 62 you still wont make the games. He then went on to say all this meant was you were the fittest in your region but not in the top 60.
Again, I like the open system, I just think there's some minor flaws.

When Coach talked about placement, he said the system might make 457th fittest recorded as 471st fittest which still won't matter. Coach said he's looking for the fittest guy and gal (singular). That maybe they don't accurately find the 40th or 50th fittest person is irrelevant with that respect too.

I'm of the opinion, just based on the last two years, that the games find the top three to five fittest with one happening to have a slightly better day than the others. Given that, I'm of the opinion the best from a large pool are spread out when you're whittling down to a small pool. Kind of like in a tournament setting you'd want the perceived best not to compete against each other on the first round. You want the last match, not the first match, to be the best of the best.

Anyway, once we get world wide representation to the point that the US can only have 2 or 3 regionals instead of 12 like now, then we're in a great spot. Until then, I think it's better to let people pick their Region by choice and not by address. There's too much concentration in the US where the best are squaring off at regionals instead of the finals.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Until then, I think it's better to let people pick their Region by choice and not by address. There's too much concentration in the US where the best are squaring off at regionals instead of the finals.
I don't think having rich Americans swoop in and win the African and Asian regionals would be terribly good for Crossfit's growth in those regions.

Katherine
Old 03-20-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
Charles Applin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
I don't think having rich Americans swoop in and win the African and Asian regionals would be terribly good for Crossfit's growth in those regions.

Katherine
This is not about CrossFit, it's about the CrossFit Games which intends to find the fittest individuals and have them square off. If there are 60 individuals in other regions that scored higher than anybody in the Asia Region, and are willing to travel to compete then more power to them. Heck, Australia's more closer than others will have to travel in the Asian region (Dubai and Israel in this case). Growth in the region with regards to CrossFit will occur regardless. In addition, I'm looking at the athletes in Asia region and seeing a lot of US military representation (likely from CrossFit Asia in Okinawa). Kind of defeats the idea of hometown representation.

Yes, in five years there'll be no problem with regions. However, this year and likely next year I don't see the problem with a more loose approach to region settings. It's a moot issue as CFHQ made the call that region is determined by your address at sign up. Never mind if one has to move or be on travel or (possibly in my case) get evacuated making participation in that particular Regional impossible.

On the bright side, there's a young lady I work with that I'm going to sponsor. She's done some CrossFit all of a few weeks. That the Asian regionals has only 9 women currently submitting workouts means she has a darn good chance to make the Games.