CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:
Projecting WODs onto "etched" glass

I'm working on a setup for our training facility where a projector runs all day and displays WOD videos onto an "etched" glass surface (using vinyl instead of chemically etching it).

Tonight was my first trial run but it works surprisingly well. The images are totally viewable from both sides at night. I'll do a daytime run later this week and when I've got all the details worked out I will share. FYI, this test run was done at 800x600 using 2400 lumens.

http://clevelandcrossfit.com/photos/IMG_0306.jpg

http://clevelandcrossfit.com/photos/IMG_0303.jpg
Old 11-20-2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:
Re: Projecting WODs onto "etched" glass

That's pretty fawkin kewl.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Adam Head

Profile:

Interesting marketing idea. I like it. Too bad my location doesn't really support anything like that. My new box. . . . hmmmmmm. I think so.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Allan Luomala

Profile:

Aaron, that's a good idea. We did something similar at work, but we used a freestanding projection screen stretched out over the window (from the inside). Your idea is far cheaper than the method we used (you ever price out those screens that can be projected on from behind??? Not cheap!!) although ours was a temporary solution using something that would have otherwise been sitting in a storage room. We tried white bed sheets (the ultimate in low tech), which worked OK, but from what you are showing, that looks more professional, and based on covering my daughters bathroom windows with that opaque plastic (which is what I am assuming you are using), not overly expensive, although you only really get one chance to get it right.

A cheap pair of outdoor speakers (assuming you are projecting that outdoors, and even if it is indoors) would help add to what your are showing (assuming the WOD music is WFS).

A very effective way to show what the heck is going on in your facility. Well done, and I look forward to seeing the finished product/results.

Allan
Old 11-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

That's pretty sweet. But unless Cleveland has changed since I've been there... Aren't you on Superior? I thought that wasn't exactly the nicest area, and I figure advertising that you have a $300-$500 projector sitting behind a glass window on Superior in downtown is just inviting some knucklehead to use a "persuader block" (brick) to break into your joint and gank it.

Then again, I lived in Euclid, and I may not be up to date on the "good" and "bad" areas of downtown.

But yeah, that IS pretty sweet.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:38 AM   #6
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Matt, yes, I am concerned with theft. I decided that projecting onto glass was less tempting and harder to steal than a large television.

I've tested projecting over the metal bars in the window that prevent burglary and was surprised that they had little effect on the image if I left them in place. I'm going to work with Ian (a local welder that built my squat stands) to build a metal cage that bolts to the ceiling and locks so that the projector can't be taken and we've got a security system in place. I guess we'll see how long it lasts!
Old 11-21-2007, 05:58 AM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:

nice, although word of mouth will likely be your biggest asset when it comes to attracting new members. Letting them find you many times turns out your most loyal crossfitters.

Besides you can always use the Projector idea to show your existing members proper form.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaffer View Post
Matt, yes, I am concerned with theft. I decided that projecting onto glass was less tempting and harder to steal than a large television.

I've tested projecting over the metal bars in the window that prevent burglary and was surprised that they had little effect on the image if I left them in place. I'm going to work with Ian (a local welder that built my squat stands) to build a metal cage that bolts to the ceiling and locks so that the projector can't be taken and we've got a security system in place. I guess we'll see how long it lasts!
Sweet... I'll have to save up for a projector (after I save up for eight billion other things I need for the facility).