CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-14-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Eric Huesman

Profile:
Vulcan Bumper Plates ?

I am looking for any info from anyone that has used, or even seen these bumpers. I used the search function and only found one thread talking about them (http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=75314 WFS), but the OP never really got any answers.

I am considering buying a set of these packaged with the Vulcan Men's Bar. I've read some good things about the bar (albeit there are only a few reviews around on it), but I have been unable to find any reviews on their bumpers, apart from the couple on their own website.

Any input would be appreciated.

For reference, I would be purchasing these for personal use and would most likely be using them in my garage. There is a possibility I would use them on concrete or asphalt. That is why I initially was going to confine myself to Hi-Temps (better durability on those surfaces right?), but I am a little worried about the excessive bounce of Hi Temps, especially considering I have my kids in the garage doing CF with me. My 8-year-old daughter has probably already permanently scarred her shins up on box jumps (reminder to self to sand down the edges of homemade 3-way plyo box), the last thing is a more serious injury.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #2
Chris Jones

Profile:
Re: Vulcan Bumper Plates ?

Im in the same boat as you Eric, i need another pair of 15s and maybe 25s so i was interested in Vulcan since im close enough to just drive over and pick them up. Their website has no contact phone number just an email which is odd to me, and you have to schedule a time to come pick something up if you order it. I emailed them about coming to grab some bumpers and asked them if a certain day was ok with them, i never even got a response.

I may email them one more time, but ill most likely drive down to MuscleDriver in SC and pay the 15 dollars more to buy from them. They have awesome customer service and are really cool people every time ive went down there to pick something up.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:18 AM   #3
Eric Huesman

Profile:

I'd give them another try with the email. I've emailed them several times with questions and they have probably answered me back quicker than any other company I've dealt with. I have no complaints about their responsiveness. FWIW, I've been contacting them at vulcanstrength AT ymail.com

I more worried about spending the money on an unproven product, but I also know that everyone product is unproven in the beginning. There is extremely little on the internet about Vulcan bumpers, so I assume they haven't been on the market very long.

I'm looking to get a set of bumpers and a bar, and I've narrowed it down to Rogue, Hammerhead, or Vulcan. I'm just having a hell of time making a decision....

Last edited by Eric Huesman; 02-15-2013 at 04:21 AM..
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
Chris Diamont

Profile:

I have Vulcan bumper plates. Drove down and picked them up. They are basically the same as the Rogue HG plates. In fact I bought a set of Rogue HGs 10# as it was cheaper to have them shipped for just the ten pound plates then to drive back to Charlotte for me. But I say that because I can not tell a difference in the Vulcan plates and the rogue plate. They look and feel the same. They are low bounce so not like the hi temps but for my home gym I can't ever imagine needing anything else! They have held up well but I have Oly had them for 2 months. For the price, I would not pay Rogue for bumpers that are the same except with a different name on them. I think both of you will be very pleased if you buy them. Eric, you may wanna check shipping price first though I think there shipping is expensive, you may be better off with Fringe Bumpers. Chris you will not find a better deal I promise!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 AM   #5
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Chris just read your post again, you don't have to schedule a time they will email you that your order is ready for pickup and you go pick it up between 8 - 5 Monday thru Friday. Also it is a one man company so the owner handles everything. I will say this. His customer service for me was great! I had a wonderful experience. You pick p the products at a shipping company over near the airport. Be ready to load everything yourself though it is not a warehouse. I am about to get there squat rack next month. $279 for the rack with spotter arms j cups and plate storage. Price kills rogue plus I can pick it up so no shipping!
Old 02-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Eric Huesman

Profile:

Thanks for the input Chris D., especially on the comparison with the Rogue HGs.

Even with the higher shipping, I think Vulcan is probably a better deal. With them, I can get the Vulcan Men's Bar and 230lbs of Vulcan bumpers for $615 ($485 + $130 shipping). The Rogue Bar and only 160lbs of Rogue HG would cost me $654 ($608 + tax).

I actually just looked at it, I could get the 260lb package from Vulcan for $5 less than the 160lb package from Rogue. And I think the bars and bumpers of each brand are a toss up in regards to which is better.

At this point, I think the question is whether there's any more "security" going with Rogue instead of Vulcan. I couldn't find anything on their respective sites that stated how long each had been around, but I think it is safe to say that Rogue has the bigger name, at least at this point.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
Chris Diamont

Profile:

That is true. I guess company stability should have played into my decision but I just looked at price. I have heard great things about the Vulcan bar but have not gotten one myself. I have a Econ bar from Rogue that I bought a while back didn't see a need to get a new one even through the Econ bar is not a lifetime bar. Once I get to the point that I need a new bar I will make my decision between rogue and vulcan, right now I'm still new to crossfit so I'm not in a hurry.

Vulcan seems to make a really good product. I actually think the bumpers are back ordered at the moment which I would guess means most people are pretty happy with them.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
Kris Chamrernlaksa

Profile:

Hey Eric,

I am selling some black Pendlay Econs I just purchased this past December. Pairs of 45, 35, and 25 lbs bumpers - 210 lbs total.

WFS:
http://www.muscledriverusa.com/Pendl...ing_p_855.html

Due to some unforeseen circumstances, my family and I are moving and I need to shed some of this weight
I believe they are the same as Rogue HG's, and they have 3 years warranty from MDUSA. They've probably been used for 6 or 7 workouts since they were delivered, and I think only 2 of those workouts required me to drop them.
I live in San Francisco but work in the East Bay in case you want to meet up. Asking $340. PM me if you're interested.

Good luck with any decision you make!
-Kris
Old 02-15-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Chris Jones

Profile:

Chris D - ill double check the email i was using for Vulcan, i just went to the "contact us" link on their website and it was a form so i assumed it was the only one they had. I read on their website that after you placed an order they would send you a time to come pick up your stuff. I was just looking for a set of 10s and maybe 15s so ill give him another shot. I understand being a one man company and being crazy busy, thanks for the heads up man.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Chris J. Sent you a pm with an email address try it!