CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-23-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
Kim Chase

Profile:
I've had severe oral allergies (anaphylactic type reaction) to most raw fruits and veggies for some time now and recently got tested for other food allergies. I just finished my elimination diet and testing of foods to confirm what I have food allergies to: wheat, corn and eggs. Mostly, the food allergies are a blessing in disguise (not the oral allergies, they just suck) since no corn and no wheat really keeps me on the straight and narrow in terms of maintaining a whole foods diet.

I've been reading about how food allergic people can suffer from nutrient deficiencies, which in turn can worsen allergies or cause new ones. Obviously, this is a fate I'd like to avoid! I'm just looking for some guidance on whether I have any big holes in my diet.

I generally consume the following several times per week, if not daily:

-Deer, beef, chicken (I insist on "good meat" so it's all fed the right stuff and not shot up with hormones or antibiotics... we hunt, so the deer is definitely "all-natural" :happy:). I do eat fish, probably about 3 times/month.
-cashews (only "nut" I'm not allergic to)
-peanut butter (natural)
-squash, various types (veggies are all generally organic)
-broccoli
-bell peppers of various colors
-tomatoes (generally raw)
-red leaf, green leaf or romaine lettuce salads
-carrots
-celery
-brown rice
-quinoa
-potatoes
-sweet potatoes
-dried fruit
-beans
-cooked fruit
-little bits of very dark chocolate here and there

All the veggies are cooked unless otherwise noted (I never cook them directly in water, though). I do have to cook things like bell peppers and carrots until they are very soft so that they don't trigger oral allergies. In the summer, I frequent the farmer's market and take in a much greater variety of veggies. I'll be adding dairy back into my diet soon, as well and I also take a multivitamin 3-4 times a week (as often as I can remember it).

Well, whaddya say? See anything big missing? Any suggestions (about nutrients or whatever, I'm happy to hear it all)?

Thanks so much!!
Old 02-24-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
Allison Barns

Profile:
Kim,
I hear ya (I'm gluten/dairy/plus various other foods intolerant)! My personal experience says to eat a wide variety of that which does not make you ill.

I just finished reading "Hidden Food Allergies" by James Braly, MD and Patrick Holford. There's LOTS of good advice regarding supplementation for those with food intolerances in this book. This book synthesizes into one text a ton of info I've seen in various other sources.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:47 AM   #3
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I have been reading up a b it lately abpout pancreatin and hydrochloric acid and how they can be good for allergic people because many of them are geficient in these and they dont break down the food molecules properly. The molecules that are too big then irritate the gut and eventually lead to allergic reactions.

Old 02-24-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Take a multi-Vit if you are concerned about missing vitamins/nutrients....they are not life savers but cant hurt.

Eat a wide variety of everything....all colors....deficiencies usually come too from people stuck on the same foods day in and out. Use a rotational diet...never the same food 2 days in a row...take digestive enzymes for max digestion...plenty of fiber to clean out the gut...probiotics (yeah we all know that one)...and so forth....maximize digestion and you should be fine.
Old 02-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #5
Kim Chase

Profile:
Allison- Thanks for the book recommendation! I'll look for it, but if it tells me that I have any other food allergies, I'm burning it on the spot! LOL! I don't need any more hidden food allergies.

Jibreel- I'll look into the pancreatin. I don't think I have any trouble creating enough hydrochloric acid however, as I have some acid reflux issues.

Mike- I read a lot about the probiotics and digestive enzymes after your suggestion and am pretty well convinced to start taking them. However, I never picked up what you meant by "probiotics (yeah we all know that one)...". You just mean that it's been heavily discussed on this board/we all know we should be taking them or something else?

Thanks for your advice, all!
Old 02-27-2007, 07:01 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"It's been heavily discussed on this board"

Yes....search probiotics and you will find a ton of info on here. Also search BED or Body Ecology Diet. Good info there too. Search Leaky Gut Syndrome on Google and you will also get good tips on healthy gut eating.