CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-17-2005, 09:07 PM   #1
Jamila Bey

Profile:
After drinking Zone Kool-Aid, Here's what I'm doing. In addition:

- 1 a day women's multivitamin
- calcium 2X/day 500mg
- folic acid 400mg
- Costco fish oil 1000 mg
- 5g creatine monohydrate

I'm 29, female. Trying to lose about 30#. Doing the WOD 3X/week scaled to my abilities.

What do you think? Too much- too litte?
Old 12-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Supplements depend highly upon what the rest of your diet looks like. Yet with no other knowledge, I would suggest that you up the amount of fish oil you are getting.

It is usually good to aim for 3-5g of the stuff depending upon the rest of your diet...

Good amount of creatine, try it with green tea to get your antitoxidants (to get all that you need for antitoxidants have about three cups of green tea...)
Old 12-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #3
Ross Hunt

Profile:
ZMA is always a winner.
Old 12-17-2005, 10:14 PM   #4
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Sorry to be so unclear. I've devoured "Mastering the Zone" and "A Week in the Zone" and I've been doing 3 zone meals and 2 Ultimate Meal shakes per day.(www.ultimatelife.com) Only 9 days into the good eating though.

I'm not hungry, and I did have 10 Hershey's kisses once. But I'm back in the zone. My only beverages are teas (green, herbal, Earl Gray) or water.

I don't eat red meat, but lots of fish and some poultry. Ultimate meal powder insures my protein intake is good.

I'm just so damned impatient. I recently had a reunion with my college buddies, and it's tragic how tubby we've all gotten. I want to get back to my 21 year old weight, which is 6 pounds heavier than my 18 years old weight, but much shaplier and healthier. At this point, I'm driven by the vanity of wanting to LOOK the part. I've been an athlete my whole life, so I'm sure the performance will come. But I want it now and I'm going to be in a wedding next July and I'll rip out my own tongue if I'm not in fab shape by then!

Too bad patience doesn't come in a pill.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:02 AM   #5
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Long chain fish oil (EPA/DHA) consumption should be at least 5g a day. It takes A BUNCH (15 or so) of the Costco capsules to reach that. When I tried it, my GI tract got very upset with me.

4 teaspoons of Carlson's fish oil before bed is what I take now. Tastes good (no fish burps), and leaves my GI tract happy.

These are what I take:
Fish Oil
ZMA
Multi
Vitamin C
Creatine

Robb Wolf has in the past recommended these also:
Alpha Lipoic Acid
Phosphatidylserine
Old 12-18-2005, 08:23 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Jamila, why no red meat! Other than that your suplimation looks good. Up the fish oil as suggested and use Carlson's liquid. I like creatine, you could probably get away with 3g/day, don't load. The ultimate meal shakes scare me, I can't find the ratios or what the protein source is. I also don't necessarly like liquid meals...they absorb faster and tend to set off an insulin response. The site also has the "health nut" hype.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:19 AM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Larry,

Why the Carlson's?

I, too, have recently started taking fish oil. I'm just going the cheap-o route and taking generic capsules. What's the advantage to the high-end model?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
Jamila Bey

Profile:
Hey Larry! Thanks for the input.
No red meat for me because with a Muslim father, I never had pork, and when I was 10, I gave up beef and lamb and the rest after reading a definite Health Nut manifesto. Dick Gregory's "Natural Diet for Folks Who Eat: Cookin' With Mother Nature!" and was within a week cured of horrible painful exczema that had plagued me for half my life.

I like the Ultimate Meal- I'm not hungry with it. I'm using it to supplement my healthful and well proportioned real food meals. And I shelled out 70 bucks for the can, and I'm gonna finish it!
Old 12-18-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I was hoping you were going to say that and not the red meat is bad thing! Grass fed red meat is fine. Finish the can of the MRP and then use real food. The Carlson's is very high quality and easy to take high amounts of in one sitting. Three teaspoons does you for the day, as opposed to 15 pills. The Carlson's tastes good and is reasonable.
Old 12-18-2005, 01:16 PM   #10
Mike Minium

Profile:
Just to offer a different viewpoint on the fish oil...I've done both the liquid Carlson's approach and the Costco enteric-coated-capsule approach.

I prefer the Costco brand--it's fairly high in dosage per capsule and I don't have any problem taking 14 to 20 of them per day. Plus the quality of the capsules, per Consumer Reports, is really quite high. Factor in the dollars saved and the portability of capsules (it's easy to throw a few in a baggie for food on the run)...it makes it a no-brainer for me.

Mike