CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-18-2005, 08:39 AM   #1
Tim Weaver

Profile:
6 months ago, just before I found CF and started workout out on a regular basis, I had bodyfat testing done.

I weighed in at 223 lbs and 30%. Yesterday, when I did it, I weighed 214 and was 29.4%. The printout showed that I'd lost 4lbs fat (yeah!) but also 5lbs Lean Body Mass, from 156.x to 151.x

Currently the zone calcs I've done came up with 17 block days.

Though I've tried to be good at following the Zone Diet, I'll admit that overall I've not done the best job. However, given my love for steak I am pretty darn certain that I am getting ample protein. I am more than certain I am getting enough (or more than enough) fat. Carbs, vary.

I am also pretty certain that the meals are not balanced, since I am (by nature) related to the 3-toe Sloth and get caught up in stuff and don't eat right. I own that like a cheap watch.

The guy who runs the BF testing, who is a personal trainer, I believe, suggested that I might look into either increasing recovery times and/or increasing protein intake.

I can definitely tell I am in much better shape now than I was 6 months ago. I do WOD about 3x per week (though last 2 weeks have been 'rest day' workouts).

So..my question...is some LBM loss to be expected, or should I perhaps be looking at this more closely?
Old 11-18-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Marissa Ray

Profile:  
BF testing doesn't have a great reputation for accuracy. Some methods can be better than others, but still. If you feel in much better shape, that sounds like a good sign. If you're really curious about the BF testing, maybe more frequent testing could give more perspective on whether your lean mass is really dropping.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:51 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
TIm, when your talking BF testing at 30%, it's not all that accurate. Body fat testing at lower BF levels gets easier and more accurate, especially with skinfold measurements. I would not worry about any bodyfat testing. If your goal is to lose fat, continue what your doing, but tighten up nutrition (weigh, measure, record). Be strict, always! 2-3 lbs a week, give or take. If I want to lose fat, I usually transiton to low fat protein sources and suppliment with more fish oil. Increase your non-exercise calorie expenditure, walk, park far away, take the stairs, etc. By summer you'll be a lean mean shooting machine!
Old 11-18-2005, 10:06 AM   #4
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I forgot to mention, this was the hydrostatic method (I think that's the name...the Chinese Water Torture, I mean, tank of water method...).

It's funny, but I just thought of the South Park episode that recently aired where Stan is told he's depressed and needs to join Scientology. Stan is aghast...he didn't know he was depressed until they told him.

I didn't know I wasn't in great shape, making fabulous progress, etc., until they told me. :-)

I wasn't that concerned, overall, since it was such a small amount of weight. Perhaps this is na´ve of me, but there ya go...I don't know enough to be or not be concerned. And that concerns me. :-)

Larry, I usually do most of those non-exercise expenditures. I'd do stairs a lot more if we only had any. Phoenix isn't known for it's love of expanding UP versus OUT.

Like my waistline....hehehehe

Thanks for all the help and encouragement.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:34 AM   #5
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Tim
Here are some things you can try in regards to balancing out your diet. If you are curious as to why you should do them feel free to ask...
1)Eat vegetables with every meal, your body will thank you, and this will help ensure that your body doesn't start consuming itself.
2)Get fish oils. Take 2-7g daily. Keep them in the fridge.
3)Eat carb and protein rich meals after you exercise.
4)Try not to combine fats and carbs in the same meals. Some is okay. Large portions of both can be troublesome.
5)Don't buy ****ty food. If it is in your house you will eat it eventually.
6)Make sure you are getting enough healthy foods. This will help ensure that you don't get cravings.
7)Quit drinking everything except water and green tea. Skim milk isn't bad either... but cut the rest.

Follow the above for six weeks and see what happens.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Tim, hydrostatic weighing is cool, but again lots of varience. Don't blow all your air out, diffrent reading, small mistakes...large %age errors. Just concentrate on actions and results will happen.