CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:
What Does the "Linebacker" Focus in GSLP mean?

What does the Linebacker focus template (GSLP) meant for? It's not for mass building or fat loss specifically right? So what should that be used for, just curious.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: What Does the "Linebacker" Focus in GSLP mean?

As it implies, the linebacker focus would be useful for developing athleticism - strength, power, etc.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Punzalan View Post
What does the Linebacker focus template (GSLP) meant for? It's not for mass building or fat loss specifically right? So what should that be used for, just curious.
I would get that first cycle under your belt before you tack on what all that involves fyi. I seriously think it's not right for you yet. Get some basic numbers squared away before you start adding in more.

After that first 12-15 weeks we talked about the other day, if you are happy with that, then maybe look to add in what all that involves.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
I would get that first cycle under your belt before you tack on what all that involves fyi. I seriously think it's not right for you yet. Get some basic numbers squared away before you start adding in more.
Yes sir. Was just kinda curious, cause i just finished reading the GSLP book.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Yes sir. Was just kinda curious, cause i just finished reading the GSLP book.
There's no doubt in my mind that the Linebacker version is a bad to the bone program but I think it's not for someone who's numbers are as low as your's.

If It were up to me, once you get up to 350 squat, 450 deadlift, 300 bench, THEN look to go that route.

Honestly I'm glad you got the book, and read through it all. Shows that you really want to learn.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:

Quote:
There's no doubt in my mind that the Linebacker version is a bad to the bone program but I think it's not for someone who's numbers are as low as your's.

If It were up to me, once you get up to 350 squat, 450 deadlift, 300 bench, THEN look to go that route.

Honestly I'm glad you got the book, and read through it all. Shows that you really want to learn.
High Numbers, but i guess i have to start somewhere. I guess I'll get there eventually. I'm still young, got plenty of time. hahaha. Yupp! Really wanna learn.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
High Numbers, but i guess i have to start somewhere. I guess I'll get there eventually. I'm still young, got plenty of time. hahaha. Yupp! Really wanna learn.
Yeah, high numbers for where you are at currently. Might be able to go down 50-75lbs from them, but you get the idea. I think it's a huge mistake when people start trying to do to much as a beginner, and don't get the maximum results they could otherwise get.

Get the foundation built, then build the house. Can't do it all at once.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
Jeremy Punzalan

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah, high numbers for where you are at currently. Might be able to go down 50-75lbs from them, but you get the idea. I think it's a huge mistake when people start trying to do to much as a beginner, and don't get the maximum results they could otherwise get.

Get the foundation built, then build the house. Can't do it all at once.
Can't do it all at once, got it. This Forum has been really helpful. Would've continued with that bad program that i had, if i hadn't asked people who are more experience. I'll probably give an update of my progress in 12 - 15 weeks time.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Can't do it all at once, got it. This Forum has been really helpful. Would've continued with that bad program that i had, if i hadn't asked people who are more experience. I'll probably give an update of my progress in 12 - 15 weeks time.
Please do. Just re-up the old thread so that if someone searches they can see your post, the answers, and how it worked out.

shoot me a PM too incase I miss it. really interested.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
Dakota Base

Profile:

Quote:
...If It were up to me, once you get up to 350 squat, 450 deadlift, 300 bench, THEN look to go that route....
He pointed it out, but these are REALLY big numbers for him. He's 156lbs now, which I'm assuming is somewhere around 15-20lbs overweight (to be read as 'overfat'). Since he's 5'5", I'd put him at a ripped up healthy target strength athlete weight of 140ish.

So at 140, 450 dead is a big lift, 350squat is a big lift, and 300bench is a REALLY big lift. As you mentioned, taking down 50-75lbs from each of those puts him in a pretty reasonable range for expectation, but that's a few years down the road for this guy, likely 5yrs+.