CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-14-2005, 03:35 PM   #1
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Okay, I really should be doing my homework right now, but I want to get this off my chest first...it's been driving me nuts...

I'm not as lean as I want to be. Especially around my midsection, I'm too smooth and soft and I've got this disgusting little pouch on my lower abs. At the same time, I'm too thin and small if that makes any sense. That's the background info.

Now, I've always done tons of sports and exercise, but I've never been lean enough to silence my self doubts. I want to get a firm core, you know? So everything I read convinces me it's got to be a dietary issue-I get plenty of exercise. But here's the problem: I ALREADY don't eat grains, sugar, soda, candy, etc. I cut out all the junk a long time ago. And on top of that, I've been low-carbing for months, but I can't seem to get rid of my "stubborn fat" and I don't know what to tweak to make it happen.

Everybody here raves about the Zone and how the fat just melts off the athletes put on it, but I don't understand...how can eating more carbs than I do result in more fat loss? I mean, I eat more meat than the Zone dictates, but I don't eat that many calories... I can accept that carbs PWO, etc will boost performance, but I can't eat them b/c I'm still carrying fat.

I just don't understand what the hell is wrong with me basically. I don't know what to change to make myself better. I don't even know I should even be worrying about losing fat...maybe i've got to GAIN weight before I can lose it...

To sum up my self-pitying rant: I hate where I am right now. I'm not fit enough, not big enough, not muscular enough, not strong enough, and not good enough. To that end, I'm on a ridiculously "hot" Zone diet...and just want to experience the drop to below 10% bf that coach always talks about. At that point, I could finally feel better about myself and pack on some much needed muscle.

If anybody's got the time, I log my food intake at fitday.com...could somebody take a look at it? It's fairly accurate I hope...
here's the link:
http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJ...ml?Owner=07mjo

Sorry for the trouble...
Matt O'Donnell
Old 02-14-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Dude...step away from the edge! Look in the mirror and say "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and darn it, I'm worth it!" Ok, on the informational part of this post. Yes it is possible to be skinny fat, and no you don't have to carry around the fat for the rest of your life. Carbs are not evil, excess carbs are, simple carbs are. Eat enough carbs to fuel activity (WOD and everything else) but not enough to support body fat; shockingly this works out to 40%. Eat anough protein to support and build muscle mass...30% and enough fat to regulate the flow of nutrients and help the body use fat for fuel...30% tada!!!! You may be compromising workout intensity when you lower carbs, especially under 100g per day. This results in less fat burned and less muscle gained! Extended cardio sessons could also create the skinny fat guy. Burn muscle tissue through long cardio sessions = lower metabolic rate = fat gain! So what should Matt do:

1. Research and impliment a proper Zone diet. Weigh and measure food at least for a month. Record everything (like your doing).

2. Drink a gallon of water a day (yah, yah, I heard it all just do it).

3. Suppliment with 6-10 GRAMS of EPA/DHA (fishoil) a day.

4. Do the WOD 3/1 to the best of your ability.

5. Take 30-45 minute recovery walks at least 5 hours seperated from you WOD time. You could weight the walks with a weighted vest or backpack. These are not intense but burn some extra calories.

6. This takes time, 1-3 lbs per week max of fat loss. Don't rush the process, just strap in and wait.

7. Coffee prior to working out MAY help fat utilization during exercise, I need it to wake up so its going down regardless.

8. Consistancy with diet and exercise will transform your body.

9. Back off the self loathing, your scaring me.

Good luck, I'm sure your going to get a lot of good advise. This does mean S#$% if you don't impliment it.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Matt,
You been in my brain lately? You pretty well posted what I think on a daily basis. Too fat, too little, too weak. And I eat clean. For *once* I'd like to see all of the effort pay off; it's frustrating as hell to work hard on the WODs, etc., and constantly get razzed at work for my "weird" (read veggies, protein, no bread, no pasta, no junk...) diet, all with nothing to show for it but some nasty flab. Grr...
Old 02-14-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
You know, there's been a little extra Barry to love as long as I can remember, but I still love him (no, not that Barry, although I love him too, long time). Don't sweat a bit of flab, if you've got good energy. If you want to get bigger, do the WOD, eat plenty of protein, and take Creatine. Do extra powerlifting. Add some O-lifts per Rutman (add Snatch day one, C&J day two, take 'er easy day three), or do my deal, or something like it, with speed bench/Speed pulls in one cycle, and Max bench, max weighted pull next cycle.

Nothing worthwhile is easy. Pain is your friend. And if it isn't, that's what booze is for.

I see you're at Williams. You may need that education to sort through this mess. It's Valentines Day, so champagne, right?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:17 AM   #5
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I had the same situation. I just accept the little extra fat and I'm very happy that way. As long as you're fit and healthy it's all good.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:41 AM   #6
Graham Tidey

Profile:
"You know, there's been a little extra Barry to love as long as I can remember."

Favourite sentance of the day. :lol:

Old 02-15-2005, 08:04 AM   #7
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
For hard abs do ab work. There are thousands of exercises called "ab work," but the ones that work best for me are full-ROM hanging leg raises (build up from hanging tucks), and to a lesser extent, L-sits (build up from tuck sits).
Old 02-15-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
John Walsh

Profile:
Matt,

Has your performance improved since CFing? Are you feeling better physically? How long have you been doing Crossfit? These are the questions you need to ask.

This is primarily a strength and conditioning site not a cosmetic one. It takes time to change body composition if that is what you are shooting for.

I’m not a Zoner but looking at your diet I see an appalling lack of fruits and vegetables. You need 5 servings a day for decent health. Lettuce doesn’t cut it. You also need some carbs of the complex variety. I tried training on Atkins and always felt like crap.

Guys on this site swear by the Zone. Give that a try.

Keep training hard, tinker with your diet to see what works. I have found that I need to put in an hour of exercise a day to get results I want. I am currently doing the WOD, breaking for 5 or 10 minutes and then doing something else for 30 minutes. I find that if I do this I don’t have to sweat diet too much
Old 02-15-2005, 11:29 AM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Feel the love, Matt.

:biggrin:

I'm with ya but definitely not doing the Zone and I guess I'll just have to step up to that plate.

Like everyone says, focus on the positive changes you have made and attack the changes you would like to make knowing that you have had success in other areas.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
You know, sometimes one has to just accept the fact that the little "pooch" around the middle will be there no matter what we do. I have increased my ab work from using the "Ab Bench" (a truly useless piece of equipment) and "crunch" machines a year ago, to doing proper sit ups, get up sit ups, glute-ham sit ups, and back extentions now. What difference have I noticed. Bloody little!! But, depite the looks, my midsection is loads stronger. How do I know, one exercise: knee-to-elbows. I can do these now, whereas 4 months ago- no dice!
The rest of the body looks way better than it did in June when I started, but then that wasn't my goal; overall fitness and escaping boredom were the goals, and I think I'm meeting them.

So, as the able community has already stated: Don't pet the sweaty things! Or something like that. Dial in the food and the pooch may disappear. Or it may stay. Some people, like me, just have it. My wife seems to think liposuction is the only way I'll lose it. She volunteered to convert the vacuum cleaner to save money!!
OK, enough ramble. Listen to Larry and Barry and everyone else who gives you diet and training tips as they are pretty darned smart!!
As for me? I'm but a simple caveman attorney. Many things confuse me!