CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-16-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
Matt McManmon

Profile:

I've been following the zone diet. However im still making progressive changes to put me completely in the zone at all times. Right now i've still been eating some whole wheat bread for sandwiches. This week im going to completely eliminate grains. I will consider having a carb loading day once every other week.

I was wondering what are some great sources of monosaturated fat besdies extra virgin olive oil, canola, almonds and walnuts?

On the supplementation end, i was wondering what people here recommend. Ive been taking 10-15 costco brand fish oil capsules a day. I've seen great improvements since. The volume of work i can do and recovery ability have grown at amazing rates. Dr sears says small amounnts of GLA (10mg) can be beneficial. I found some posts in the archives about people who are genetically predisposed to have trouble producing/processing GLA. I met nearly all the warning signs. Have any of the people that have been tinkering with GLA found a good measure of the amount that should be taken?

Also what have your experiences been with the following.
Glutamine
Potassium/magnessium
Creatine
Brain quicken?
Systematic enzymes?

Thanks.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:53 PM   #2
Kevin H

Profile:  
Olives are a good source of monosaturated fat. Also try advocatos and guacomole.

"Dr sears says small amounnts of GLA (10mg) can be beneficial. I found some posts in the archives about people who are genetically predisposed to have trouble producing/processing GLA. I met nearly all the warning signs."

What are these warning signs, if you don't mind me asking?
Old 06-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #3
Matt McManmon

Profile:

The original post with a list of the warning signs can be found here http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/2718.html

Old 06-18-2004, 11:02 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Matt-

Postassium/magnesium are generally inexpensive not a bad idea to supplement. Get chelated forms.

Creatine-check the archives...I like it.

fish oil and alpha lipoic acid are about all i endorse besides perhaps a general iron-free multi.
Robb
Old 06-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #5
Larry Cook

Profile:
I have started taking fish oil capsules and like the results. However, I'm still not sure about the dosage. I've found a brand that contains 1.76g of fish oil concentrate per 2 capsules ... It notes omega-3 fatty acids of 870mg with EPA=520 and DHA=350mg. Is the 2.5g target (read this on a thread here somewhere) for the fish oil concentrate (so 3 caps a day) or for the omega-3 fatty acids (so 6 caps a day ... this is what I've been taking)? Also is the EPA/DHA mix good or normal? ... not sure what it should be.

Robb .. I thought I read you were going to try supplementing with GLA. Did you try this? Results?

Thanks, Larry
Old 06-18-2004, 02:53 PM   #6
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Larry-

I did and am and I'm not sure that I notice that much. I follow the ratio recomended by Barry Sears. I'm of scotish ancestry so I should be one of the big responders!
Old 06-19-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Monosaturated fat - Peanuts. Mmmm, peanuts...
I have bought my local mini mart entirely out of all peanuts.

Glutamine - Several of my acquaintances and I have had surprising, not to say spectacular results from Xtreme Formulations' ICE (BCAA/Glutamine blend).