CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #1
Brad Petri

Profile:
Shoe recommendation

I am fairly new to crossfit training but have been lifting for about 12 years including Olympic lifts. I'm 27, 5'10" 190 lbs but I have a history of knee problems. I am 6 months out of an acl reconstruction and have had 4 other knee surgeries including the other acl 8 years ago. I have been using Asics running shoes since they have more cushioning but they are not the best shoes for crossfit and I am interested in trying the New Balance MT101 or the Inov-8 230 (if I can even find them). Will these be ok with my knees or do I need to settle on what I have been using?
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
Ari Sherwood

Profile:
Re: Shoe recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Petri View Post
I am fairly new to crossfit training but have been lifting for about 12 years including Olympic lifts. I'm 27, 5'10" 190 lbs but I have a history of knee problems. I am 6 months out of an acl reconstruction and have had 4 other knee surgeries including the other acl 8 years ago. I have been using Asics running shoes since they have more cushioning but they are not the best shoes for crossfit and I am interested in trying the New Balance MT101 or the Inov-8 230 (if I can even find them). Will these be ok with my knees or do I need to settle on what I have been using?
Not sure what ACL recon will really have to do with shoe choice, unless you are also trying to protect a sutured or trimmed meniscus, but in reality I don't even think that will make much difference as long as you are careful about your landings from jumps, etc. The NB MT101 or Innov-8's should be just fine for CF'ing on your reconstructed knees.

Other choices include:
- DC shoes (any of them - I use the Pure Slims) for heavy squat/deadlift days
- Puma Kosmos Street for more combined WOD's
- Real WL shoes for heavy lifts and oly lifts