CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #1
Michael Zoda

Profile:
First attempt at the Snatch

This is my first attempt at the snatch. I know its rough but all tips are welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JJzEAlcL-0 (wfs)
Old 10-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: First attempt at the Snatch

For your first time, that doesn't look bad at all. Your bar moves at almost the same rate as your hips and you get relatively good hip extension. You've gotta make sure to keep the bar close to your body as you open up your hips after the second pull. It seems like the bar is coming out forward slightly, which makes you catch the bar too far in front, making you take the step forward. Catch it in a position that you overhead squat in. I believe you're catching it just a little bit forward. Some snatch balance drills might give you a better idea of where the bar needs to be for a solid snatch. When you know where the bar is supposed to be, you can modify your snatch technique to catch it in that sweet spot. Hope that helps.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
William F. Burgess

Profile:

I know I am not really qualified to offer advice, but it looks like you are having the same issues I am am having with the transition to the catch. My coach has to remind me a lot that its just the wrists that are supposed to flip over as opposed to the forearms. That and ditto to what Brent said about keeping the bar closer to the body. Looks like the bar loops too much there.

Hope that is correct. If anyone with more experience sees fault with what I am saying, feel free to correct me.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

starting position is good

you're jumping backward by an entire foot length!

you're catching the weight too far forward (this is possibly caused by the above). If this got much heavier, you would drop it forward

bar should be in light contact with your thighs the whole time until the point of snapping. looks like it gets away from you
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
Andrew Bell

Profile:

It does get a bit far away from you through the first and second pull. Second pull it doesn't even look like your hips hit the bar.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Michael Zoda

Profile:

This is something ive had trouble with. Ive been practicing the clean and the snatch a lot lately and my main problem is that i cant seem to connect the bar with my thighs at the start of the second pull. Not quite sure why
Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
William F. Burgess

Profile:

I found this video from Catalyst Athletics very helpful. There is more than one, but the others should be easy enough to find in the related videos section.

wfs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FixGfONS2rI

Last edited by William F. Burgess; 10-20-2010 at 10:30 PM..
Old 10-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #8
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Best way that I ensure I get the bar with my hips is that I do a dead lift with the weight then down, set and pull along the same motion with a higher power once its along the hips for the second pull I initiate the jump and snap it up.

Hope that helps.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #9
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zoda View Post
This is something ive had trouble with. Ive been practicing the clean and the snatch a lot lately and my main problem is that i cant seem to connect the bar with my thighs at the start of the second pull. Not quite sure why
The only way I can explain it in my head is that I tell myself to try and actually jump forward and hit it with my thighs/hips. Practice with hang snatch/cleans, just take it from right below the knee to the bump, which should drive it up to about your chest. Then release the weight totally from your hands after it drives up to around your chest and drop it to the ground.