CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-24-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Brad Williams

Profile:

I have recently started training hockey teams(age 12-18). I have worked with many kids from 15 and up but this is the first time for me working with twelve to fifteen year olds. I have basically been reformatting a few WODs for the equipment that I have available for the size of the groups that I work with(usually (7-9 at a time).

I usually start the workouts with a basic warm up that always involves some skill practice as well as light calisthenics or stationary cycling. I then teach and have them practice a skill(generally one that we will be using during that particular workout) or something new that we will be using in the near future. The kids love the workouts which is great. For the most part the older kids adapt and learn quickly in which case we get right into the WOD but some of the younger ones simply do not yet have the body awareness to pick up the movements as easily. In that situation I generally take away free weights and replace them with medicine balls or bodyweight exercises as much as possible. I was planning on doing this as long as they can still get a great workout and until they pick up better awareness.

I am wondering if anyone else has had any experiences in a similar situation? Am I making the right decision with this or should I just let them go with it?
(With no intention of re - stirring recent debate on this site )It is my job to make sure that these kids are smoked after forty five minutes but I am having a hard time determining just how much(if any) technique I should sacrifice for the sake of intensity?

I welcome any thoughts or comments.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
IMHO, don't sacrafice technique for intensity for youngsters. Make sure proper technique is in-grained in them before up-ing the intensity. Once intensity and/or volume increases we know technique falls to the wayside. I don't think it would be wise to let kids/teens get used to the bad form.

(Message edited by vgcarp on October 24, 2005)
Old 10-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I'm thinking of all the stuff you could do with just their hockey stick: OH squats, all the O-lifts and complexes, thrusters, front squats, dislocates. and then just the body weight stuff: Tabata squats, sprints on skates-forward and backward. Push-ups, sit-ups, etc. Check out Gym Jones site for some killer team workouts. Good interview with Dan John on training teens in this months issue of the PM.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Technique is primary. Proper technique developed early has monsterous impact on performance later in life. As their technique improves they'll be able to go at high intensity with good technique.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:00 AM   #5
Douglas Chapman

Profile:
I just started teaching a kids class. My first goal is to get the kids interest and get them hooked on fitness. Keeping the interest of a 9 year old for an hour is hard!

I am applying a scaled down version of the of the basics, squat, OHS and most of the general movements as they apply to balance and skill development.

If anyone has suggestions as to program development, please let me know.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:28 AM   #6
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Paging Jeff Martin........

"We need 50 cc's of Garddawg....STAT!"

He is the man for kids classes and the such in a CrossFit stylee. Saw a couple out at Brand X when i was out there for the Sept cert.....they rocked.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
Brad Williams

Profile:

I have checked out the BrandX site. There are some great workouts for kids there. It is also great how it is scaled down for ability level/age group.
Thanks for the responses so far. I am on the same page as all of you so far concerning technique vs. intensity. Somehow I missed the hockey stick thing but what an awesome and obvious idea.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:53 PM   #8
Clay Jones

Profile:

Doug, I teach 3rd grade, and have to say that keeping the interest of a 9 year old for 10 minutes is hard, let alone for an hour! :happy:

To keep kids in this age group interested, it has to be fun and somewhat challenging--but not too challenging. 7-9 year olds may tend to bore easily, so to keep them hooked you will have to change activities every 15 minutes or so. And 15 minutes might be pushing it for some kids.

I'd also make my activities very gamelike--If kids think they are playing a game, they will tend to remain focused longer.

Do check out the BrandX website, they realy do have lots of good workouts.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
Skip Chase

Profile:
Brad,
Your question is regarding 12-18 year olds. I am training 14- 18 year olds. "Elite Fitness Training for the serious Junior and Senior High School Student." I am training them 'CrossFit'. As with all the demographics, the load changes according to the fitness level. Proper form and technique is priority. Beyond that, it is 100% CF and the kids love it. I set aside 4pm M-F for the students on my schedule. I have been training HS and JHS athletes for nearly 30 years and no protocol comes close to CF.