CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-23-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
Sean Mulcahy

Profile:
Fellow CFers,

I've been training my two teenage brothers CF style for a while, but their inability to do pullups is a limiting factor. I've been having them do bar hangs (negatives) for reps. Usually about 3 hangs (from chin above bar until they drop to full extension) for about three sets.

I know that you all probably have much more to offer to get a young teenager up to speed and doing good pullups. What say you?
Old 03-24-2005, 12:01 AM   #2
Mike Burgener

Profile:
do density training sean.....ethen reeves of wake forest is the best coach at this style than anyone i know. select a number of pull ups that you want then to achieve....20 in a row..... x 2 = 40 that we have to get done....so start doing 2 pull ups x 20 sets on the minute...then 3 pull ups x 14 sets on the minute...then 4 pull ups x 10 sets on the minute....get the idea.....they will develop a knack and you get in the volume....great stuff....i have had several kids go from doing 3-4 pull ups to 10-15 pull ups.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:13 AM   #3
Sean Mulcahy

Profile:
Coach B,

Sounds like an awesome plan. We'll give it a go.

Since one of the kids still can't do a pullup under his own power, I'll assume that doing the density training with assisted pullups with achieve the same goal as well. Thanks again Coach.

p.s. I'll be PCSing to Pendleton around May 1. I'll see you in about a month and a half.
Old 03-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Sean,
How long have the kids been doing CrossFit? My experience with kids is it takes a while for them to see progress with this movement. My son has been on it for about a year. When he started he couldn't do any pull ups. I had him do rowing work with the low rings. When he could do one, we worked them into the warm up. Every warm up included 3-4 single pull ups. Eventually we moved to doing the density training suggested by Mike about once a week. It took several months, but around July of last year he started popping out sets of 8-10. Now he just does the WOD and has continued to progress. He recently did a set of 30.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:37 AM   #5
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Sean,
With my son, I put a bar in his door way, and he knocked out a couple every time he went in and out. It took a while, be he knocks them out pretty good now.
GySgt Frank Ollis
Old 03-24-2005, 12:11 PM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Funny Mike mentioned Ethan Reeve. I just posted an interview with him on the Fitness thread. Take a look.

As for training pull ups. With my jr. high kids (11-14 y-o) I use stretch bands and jumping pull ups to begin. By the end of CC season, most were banging out their pull ups with no help at all.
If you have access to one, a gravitron also is helpful. My 11 y-o daughter uses it to do 10-12 reps per set.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #7
Jeryd Leuck

Profile:
I put a bar up in the hall way of my parents house for my little brother. (14 ys old) About 6 months ago he could not do any and now he is up to 14.

With him I got his friends interested also. They always try to 1 up the other. (They do the same thing with my Kettlebells when I bring them over.)
Old 03-31-2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Sean Mulcahy

Profile:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do appreciate it.

Semper Fi