CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-16-2005, 12:12 PM   #1
James Oconnor

Profile:
In a powerclean, as soon as the bar is off the ground you do an upright row motion before the catch. Is it the same motion before you drop under it when you do the snatch?

Watching elite lifters, it seems like they use their hips and thighs to bump it up to get the bar above their head. Almost like their eliminating an upright row motion completely. I'm sure there are different techniques and opinions, just looking for some feedback.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
James,
Others will answer this better, look for names like Mike Burgener, Lincoln, or Dan John, but I don't think you can think of any of the cleaning motions as upright rows. A viscous jump and a race like hell underneath would be a better description. Am I learning Mike? The clean for the snatch and the C&J are essentially the same. Where you catch the bar is different.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:17 PM   #3
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
James - Do you row? What happens if you start to pull with your arms before you finish pushing with your legs? You will lose much of your power because an early arm pull takes your legs out of the effort.

Your arms are even less involved in the clean or the snatch than they are in rowing. That upright row you think you are seeing is actually a downward pull of the body to get under the bar.

Get the snatch and clean and jerk tapes from World Class Coaching. They show some Olympic lifters in slow motion and you can plainly see that the arms do little more than affix the hands to the bar so the rest of the body can lift it up. The lifters essentially dead lift the bar over the knees, the knees scoop under the bar, the bar brushes the upper thighs as the lifter leans back on the heels and shrugs the shoulders and only then bends the elbows high to get under the bar. That bump you see adds very little, if any, upward motion of the bar and its purpose will be better explained by Coach Burgener or Lincoln.

Get upright row out of your head as regards the Olympic lifts.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Mike Burgener

Profile:
james as jeff has indicated...there is no upright row....there is a vicious jump or extension putting momentum on the bar as well as elevation when one shrugs their shoulders...there is a brush off the hips...and yes, some might get a little help or kick to the bar. the arms only bend when one is pulling themselves down into the receiving position...aka as i call it the landing position. its a jump...and a land while pulling oneself under the bar. snatch, clean and even the jerk use this tech to again put momentum and elevation on the bar...and when that bar is basically weightless, defying gravity if you will...the athlete vigorously pulls themselves under the bar. there are 3 pulls in weightlifting...#1...a positioning pull from the floor to the hips....#2...the jump phase of the lift....that triple extension....#3. the pull under...into the receiving position. hope this helps. coach b
Old 03-16-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
In a powerclean, as soon as the bar is off the ground you do an upright row motion before the catch.

Not if you do it correctly.

Almost like their eliminating an upright row motion completely.

Damn straight. DO NOT UPRIGHT ROW THE BAR! That goes for both cleans and snatches. Use the hips, legs and back to generate bar movement. Then use the weight of the bar to pull the body rapidly under the bar - for both cleans and snatches.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
James Oconnor

Profile:
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I obviously am not doing it right. I'll get some tapes and seek out a coach.

I'm totally motivated to go and try the techniques that were suggested.
Thanks again.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 PM   #7
James Oconnor

Profile:
When I do the snatch I seem to land in a much wider stance than I started. It really restricts how low I can squat to catch the bar. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Should my stance be any wider than where I started?

I also have trouble gripping the bar outside of my knees. I have to start in a sumo deadlift position. Is this bad?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:24 PM   #8
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
James,

Usually your start position is narrower than your squat position. It sounds like you are displacing too far. At the start your feet should be at the width at which you jump. And, when you land, your feet should only displace to the width at which you squat.

As far as starting in the sumo DL position, not sure if it's bad, but it's probably not very efficient.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
Mike Burgener

Profile:
james i bet you are pulling way too much with your arms....as lyn jones said years ago..."when the arms bend, the power ends!!" jumping position...feet under hips....landing position....feet outside the hips just wide enough to put your rear end down between your ankles. practice that...many, many, many times...coach b
Old 03-17-2005, 06:21 AM   #10
James Oconnor

Profile:
I have a bit of a flexibiliy issue as far as keeping my knees together. When I clean my knees spread far apart in the start position, so if I take a grip on the outside of my knees I get bent over and use my back to lift. It also raises my heels off the ground. If I take an inside grip, like the sumo deadlift, I can keep my back much straighter and hips under.
Any suggestions?