CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-19-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
Mike Donnelly

Profile:
After (actually during) today's WOD, I became aware of some form issues on my ring dips. Last two times I did multiple reps, I had large bruises on the outside of my arm above the elbows. I thought that it was just due to the adjusting cam buckle. I rigged up some webbing today and found that I rubbed the skin off my arms in the same place. Obviously the same problem in the same place.

Looking in the mirror, it appears that even though I keep the rings close to my body, my elbows flare outwards. Looks more like a decline bench press position than a dip. I tried concentrating on supinating my wrists to a more neutral position, but it only seemed to help marginally.

I doubt this is endemic to a good ring dip. Any help would be appreciated.

Mike Donnelly
Old 03-19-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
Christopher Sommer

Profile:

Ring Dips

Ring dips are a very challenging movement. However the following tips may make your practice somewhat easier and more productive.

At first, you may find it necessary to keep the rings pulled in very close to your hips during the movement. Turning your thumbs inward will make the support position easier, however it will lead to your forearms rubbing on the straps as you have already noticed. Also, at first you may find it very difficult to "lock out" or completely straighten your elbows at the top of the dip.

In time, as your stength developes, attempt to make the following modifications to your ring support position (that is your position at the top of the ring dip):

1) Completely lock & straighten the elbows at the top of the movement. This may be done while leaning forward and holding the rings very tightly into the sides, but must be accomplished before attempting to move on the next improvements.

2) Sit up straight with no forward leaning or pike in the hips. Do not "hunch"; shoulders should be pulled back, with the back flat and the chest slightly pushed forward.

3) Rotate your thumbs outward so that the inside bend of your elbow is partially pointing forward. This will be by far the hardest modification to make as it takes the assistance provided by leaning on the straps away, but it will greatly improve your ring strength and balance.

4) Push the rings farther out from your body so that your arms can no longer "lay" on your lats. This will also greatly increase the difficulty of this position, but is a necessary strength development prior to successfully working the iron cross.

Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Old 03-19-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
Mike Donnelly

Profile:
Thanks, Coach.

Humbled by the rings (earlier) and by the generosity of you and this community (now).

Mike Donnelly
Old 03-19-2005, 08:29 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
You might also have the straps too close together wherever you are suspending them from. Also, make sure that you have the buckles facing outwards and no twists in the straps.
Coach Sommer is right on. That is a great progression. Relying on the straps as a crutch will only lessen the potency of the ring training. Using more of a corkscrew motion might help as well. Lastly, building up to a 1+ minute hold of the support position, without contacting the straps, will help greatly in perfecting your dips.

Tyler
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #5
Alex McClung

Profile:
Nice timing !

I have huge bruises in exactly the same place !
Old 03-23-2005, 05:24 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Not to highjack the thread but. . .

Tyler made me think of something interesting.

Has anyone tried progressing to the Iron cross by moving the rings apart (easily done with Tyler's rings)? The change in angle would make the strength required to get up to horizontal arms less wouldn't it?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Jeremy,
That's an interesting idea. Moving them farther apart definitely increases lat recruitment, which makes it a closer approximation of a cross.
I've never heard of anyone building up to a cross this way, but that doesn't mean it's not possible. Sounds like something worth playing with...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Just the engineer in me - always trying to do it better, faster, and with less materials.

I may go this route some day, but I have many other goals to accomplish first.

Would anyone else like to be a guinea pig?