CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-12-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
Vincent Tam

Profile:
For those who do wrestling/mma fighting/or have any knowledge on this subject, do you guys think it is actually beneficial to lose weight a day or two prior to a competition just to make weigh-ins? I personally don't like losing weight, and I'm not sure if the advantage of competing in a smaller weight class can outweigh the disadvantages of not drinking enough water and not eating enough the days before. Does the lack of water/food make me weaker if it is just for one or two days? By the way, I'm usually 130 pounds, and I usually drop to 125 for competitions.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #2
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
You won't find any elite wrestlers that don't cut some weight (sans heavyweights). If you are fully hydrated at 130 lbs, 125 is a piece of cake. You shouldn't have to starve yourself whatsoever. You can easily cut the 5 lbs within 12 hours of weigh-ins by breaking a good sweat and restricting fluids until weigh-ins. You still can eat, just eat food that doesn't weigh much (meal replacement bars come to mind). After weigh-ins you can drink back the weight you lost.

By waiting until you absolutely have to cut the weight, you can avoid the detrimental affects of prolonged dehydration, while still getting down to a lower class.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:28 PM   #3
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
If you've got an advantage in the lighter weightclass and can drop that last 5lbs to make weight within 24hrs go ahead. Wrestlers and Weightlifters do it all the time without much loss in stamina or strength.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
When I wretsled back in high school the wrestling room was kept at >80 degrees or so with poor ventilation so it was humid. Most of us used to drop about 5 lbs of water every practice. Even now my weight varies about 3-5 lbs in a 24 hour period depending on my hydration.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I cut weight for the jiujitsu tournaments I've done -- in the girls no-gi competitions the weight classes are 15 pound ranges. I'd sure as heck rather be thirsty for a day and be at the top end of a lower weight class, than the bottom end of the next one up. That's a big weight range, and you have to assume there's girls cutting in that weight class, too.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Ryan Beasley

Profile:
I had 15 MT and MMA fights and used to regulary cut at least 10 lbs and near the end was cutting from about 150 to 132 in one week, already walking around at about 7% body fat. I also have fought without cutting any weight being about 150 in the 155 class, but preferred cutting. I fought usually at least every 2 months sometimes more often. I have always leaned more to endurance and never strength.

So the major disadvantage for me of the frequent large cuts was that I was never ever to build strength even with constant lifting. Even at the point when I was cutting almost 20 lbs I never felt weaker than I was orinally after proper rehydration.

Looking back I would have built up my strength more first without dealing with cutting and then make a cut of closer to 5 lbs that frequently.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:33 AM   #7
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
I think that cutting weight provides you w/ advantages until you get to the upper weight classes. In HS wrestling once you hit around 171, I believe you're better off going up a weight class because the higher weight you are, the less skills the average athlete has. I think the same exists at the college level, but not to the same extent. I found cutting 8 lbs of water weight was very easy for me. 5 lbs isn't much. Make sure you don't restrict water until 12-24hrs before weigh-ins. If you do, your body will resist the cut.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Ryan Beasley

Profile:
Adding onto to Nathans last statment about fluids, you should actually be overloading on fluids all the way to the cut. This will make your body drop the water much quicker.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:47 AM   #9
Justin Leigh

Profile:
I read somewhere that dehydration before activity may serve another benefit ... that being increased red blood cell count which can certainly benefit an athlete. Dehydration is linked to high RBC so there might be something to it. Not sure how the blood reacts to rehydration just before the event.

I first read about this in a book about training pit bulls(I don't advocate fighting but the nutritional/conditioning chapter was one of the most interesting things I have ever read).

Maybe someone understands this and can shed some more light...
Old 01-18-2007, 06:56 PM   #10
Jimmy Yeh

Profile:

It's harder to cut weight from 130 to 125 than say 180 to 175 because of pure percentages.