CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Jason Burgar

Profile:
Air Dyne In Place of Rowing

I may be able to get my hands on an Air Dyne stationary bike for free. If I wanted to use this in place of rowing, how far would I need to bike to equal, for example, 1000m of rowing? Would it be the same distance?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:39 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Air Dyne In Place of Rowing

I can't even ride a bike properly anymore, so I'm sure I wouldn't know, but you may want to watch this thread as well. No responses yet, but it's similar to your question.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=35254 wfs
Old 08-02-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
Scott Borre

Profile:

There's no equivalent. A rowing machine is a full body exercise.

What you could though do is row 2000m and check your wattage. Use the Air Dyne and check the distance it takes you for equal wattage.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 AM   #4
Tom Gentleman

Profile:

The AirDyne is a full-body exercise as well. I prefer it to a rower for effect but put it behind a Versaclimber as far as the top ergometers go.

The C2 is more fun though and thus easier to work longer distances on.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:01 PM   #5
Joel Chapman

Profile:

Scott,

Wattage is a rate or power output, not a total amount of work. So if someone rowed a 2000M they could note ave. watts and total time and then ride at that wattage for that amount of time on the Airdyne.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 PM   #6
Steve Wiser

Profile:

I know this is an old thread but I have some experience with both now that I have been using the Concept 2 for over two months.

I have used the Airdyne now for over 20 years. I thought after my heart surgery (4xCABG and in Feb 08) that I was doing real well being able to maintain about a heart rate between 140-150 bpm with a max estimated to be 166 for over 45 minutes.

Then enter the Concept 2, while being able to do the above I could hardly to 20 minutes and get my heart rate up above 120 at first. There is such a difference between these two it is not funny. My leg muscles can do cardio on the Airdyne real well, but all those smaller muscles that don't get worked on the Airdyne take a real hit while I am working on the Concept 2. I was just not strong enough to do the work.

After two months I am only now getting my other muscles to accept the 150 bpm load for 30 minutes.

The Concept 2 is simply a much more complete overall exercise compared with the Airdyne. The Airdyne still has a place but not for a complete exercise. Maybe for warmup or cool downs but not as primary any more. I just wished I had been introduced to the Concept 2 20 years ago.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Steve, the more horizontal body position of rowing will lead to lower heart rates at any level of power output. It doesn't mean that you're not working harder, though I understand that this point was not the crux of your statement. I would caution you not to continue doing regular extended aerobic sessions, however, as shorter but more intense sessions will lead to better overall fitness and similar if not greater cardiovascular stimulation.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
Steve Wiser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. Meador View Post
Steve, the more horizontal body position of rowing will lead to lower heart rates at any level of power output. It doesn't mean that you're not working harder, though I understand that this point was not the crux of your statement. I would caution you not to continue doing regular extended aerobic sessions, however, as shorter but more intense sessions will lead to better overall fitness and similar if not greater cardiovascular stimulation.
I am using a Suunto HR monitor that provides a something called a Training Effect which tells me that I have done enough. You probably are aware of that kind of stuff so I don't have to go into it. I had a 4.2 TE this past week with the 30 min. row that had and took the next day off because of it. One 4+ a week is plenty for me. I also do at least a couple of long slow intervals a week. One example of this is a 3x20min this week with a HR average of about 118.

My primary effort is getting down in weight right now and increasing fitness. I am almost 100 lbs lower than I was 24 months ago at about 206 today. Last week I did six workouts of various types including some strength training and within the week almost 70k of rowing meters. At Cardio Rehab twice with treadmill and Airdyne there as well as a 30 min. row in between those.

I hope this approach does come near what you were suggesting and takes for any and all insights/advice you can give.

Real Crossfit type intensity is not in my picture right now. I still am somewhat HR limited in my efforts which I take very seriously.