CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 AM   #1
Jay Nel

Profile:
Convince me to go to level one cert or better yet convince my wife to let me go.

I've put out that i'm interested in the Level one Maine law enforcement only cert to my wife. She knows how much I enjoy the CF and how I've been pushing it on all of my co-workers and even her. It has even gotten to the point where a few of us have thrown around the idea of trying to affiliate. No serious action has been taken though.
I'm on a tactical team where there is no offseason and CF is the best for keeping us action ready. It has sharpened all areas of my training and I think it has done the same for some of my other team members.

My wife says she is OK with it but she wonders how I would really use the certification to my advantage if I don't open up an affiliate. I don't foresee an affiliate in the near future but would really like to get the cert for my training and for helping my co-wokers to gain an edge. Could I possibly use the cert to train people in a local big box? Have any of you gone through the cert and not affiliated and did you find it worthwhile even if you had no intentions of affiliating? Also, the cert is within driving distance which is a plus, really no travel expenses.

Your thoughts are always appreciated.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:15 AM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Convince me to go to level one cert or better yet convince my wife to let me go.

Jay;

If you're not going to instruct or open an affiliate, I'm not sure it's worth a 1000 bucks. While you will definitely enjoy the discussions, demos and hands on practice, 1000 bucks can buy a lot of gear.

Consider going to local affiliate, buying some back issues of CF journal, adding some great gear to your home gym, but I probably could have spent the money better or gotten more bang for buck then attending cert, but it was a great experience, very cool meeting Coach, Nicole, fellow CF'rs and again, I did gain much knowledge from the hands on corrections and one on one training.

Just my two cents.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #3
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: Convince me to go to level one cert or better yet convince my wife to let me go.

I'd pay 1000$ only to chill with Nicole and Jolie without second taughts!

On a more serious note,

I have yet to go to a cert but I've been thinking about it tremendously.
I think you could be able to train people at a big box gym with the cert, but you might need something that is more generally accepted and given credit for the insurance.

The amount of knowledge you'll get from the certs though will always be helpfull, even if you don't open youre own box, you'll be able to develop yourself & others more efficiently than ever, and accordingly to the crossfit protocol.

If I had a cert within driving distance, the money, time and support of family, I would definately go, even if it would be only to get feedbacks on my form and what I could do to get better.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
Jason Ackerman

Profile:

It is definitely worth it. I've been to a Level I and II, and I am going back to a second Level I (Maine) so that my girlfriend will attend.

Even if you have no intentions of affiliating or coaching, what you learn will be sure to improve some aspects of your own training.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I think you will find that you *will* instruct in some manner, especially other officers.

And on that note, since you will be teaching them, just think of it this way, if you better prepare them, one day they may save your (or their own) life thanks to the training you've taught them.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
David Sailor

Profile:

Jay,

I went to the Santa Cruz cert last fall and had a blast. I don't intend to affiliate, Crossfit is just a passion that I intend to pursue. Arguably, everything you learn at the cert could be obtained by reading the journal, going to an affiliate and reading the board here.

On the other hand, the experience was unforgettable. Meeting the stars is very cool and being around like minded people, even for a weekend, is a great time. Yes, it is a $1,000 but for me, I don't regret it. Everyone has their price point. My gym is already completely outfitted so I don't have any more equipment expenses. There is no local affiliate for me to attend.

I just spoke with a friend this morning to convince him to go the Maine cert and I will go, too.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
Jay Roughton

Profile:

Without a question! Go to a cert. You will benefit. I believe you qualify for a $200 discount due to your profession. Mine was $800 because I'm a fireman. The website & CFJ are great, but nothing can compare to hands on instruction. Try to compare it to other things you have dropped an equal amount of $ for.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:21 AM   #8
Mark Reinke

Profile:

I would live at ANY CF cert, if given the opportunity to. All are well worth the money, and you will walk away with some valuable tools for your future endeavors. The opportunity to be within the camaraderie of the community is invaluable!
Old 03-06-2008, 05:14 AM   #9
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

How much do you pay to go to go say skiing for an afternoon...and what were you able to take home from that? Maybe if you think of it in those terms...
I've been to a level I and am going to a level II in a couple weeks. I say go and let us know if it was worth it when you get back from it. Especially if there is no travel concerns...I highly encourage you to go, just for the fact that you are CFing, you will benefit.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
John Seiler

Profile:

It's a well known fact that attending a cert will not only make you a better, more vigorous lover, it will leave you more inclined to help with household chores. And frankly, if that doesn't convince her, nothing will.

To address what was brought up earlier, I honestly think how much you stand to gain depends on your experience. If you really have your act together and have quite a bit of experience, you probably won't gain that much (although it's super cool to see Coach spin the web and bring it all together.) If your exercise knowledge and experience is not up to par, you'll learn a bunch.

Last edited by John Seiler; 03-06-2008 at 01:10 PM..