CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #1
Ben Nance

Profile:
Hey I have a question:

Due to my shoulder injuries (unstable right shoulder for those that don't know) I cannot hang in the 'bottom' position for pullups. I have to rely entirely on muscle tension in the bicep/tricep/lat to hold the shoulder in the right place. So, inevitably this has my 'bottom' position being one with slightly bent arms and full muscle tension.

When I see others in the videos doing kipping pullups it seems that they almost get a brief rest at the bottom and are swinging from a solid position with weight on the shoulder joint, whereas I must rely on muscle tension. With that tension actually fighting/absorbing part of the kipping motion... am I still gaining the same benefits of the kipping pullups or should I go back to dead hangs?

FWIW- my kipping and dead hang numbers are almost equal

Sorry for the long post
Ben
Old 04-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #2
Rick Ihrie

Profile:
My two cents Ben - Try dead hanging from the bar and try to relax as much as possible, also, try sitting close to the wall (shoulders and butt) and putting the backs of your hands near shoulder height, then sliding them up the wall keeping in contact as you raise your hands as high as possible.
I too have shoulder "issues" - not the least of which are very limited ROM x 2, but especially in my L from a rotator cuff tear and sub luxing bicep tendon.
That being said, when I first started kipping, I too had ROM deficiencies as you do. Over time, by working on the above and also by relaxing during the descent - letting my self 'fall' rather than tensing on the way down - my shoulder flexibility improved. I can do a decent kip w/ full ROM, even with the rotator cuff problems. Hope this helps you.
Rick
Old 04-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #3
Ben Nance

Profile:
Rick-

My problem lies with my shoulder actually being unstable. If I hang relaxed from the bar I will dislocate my shoulder. So when I say I need muscle tension to hold my shoulder in the right place...haha I'm not exaggerating.