CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #1
Michael Terry

Profile:
So, when I do push pressses, my shoulder starts to hurt immediately. It's no so bad during the movement, but it just aches after that. The more I do the worse it gets.

Planches kill it too, with same sort of pain.

In the archives, I found someone with the exact same problem (shoulder joint pain on push presses and planches!), so this is something that happens, but the only suggestion was a rear deloid strength deficiency. I guess it's possible. My front and lateral deltoids have always been my strongest muscles, and I don't really do anything special for the rear deltoids, although I can do a lot of pullups--do the rear delts get worked during that much?

Also, when I hang from a bar, e.g., doing L-raises, the backs of my shoulders hurt. Hard to tell, but possibly the rear deltoids, actually. It's a different kind of pain, though. I can relieve it by rotating the shoulders, but it's annoying that I can't just hang relaxed.

Any suggestions then?
Old 05-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I thought these article was pretty informative:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1053531
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1055409

(Message edited by backlash79 on May 18, 2006)
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Tom Brose

Profile:
One option that may help is to modify your grip on the push presses. Try using DBs held with a neutral grip (palms facing each other. Often, this is much more shoulder friendly option.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #4
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Allen:

Great links. I'll put that to use right away. I had my first session with a MAT therapist today and feel really well. I'll report back as that progresses.

My shoulder issues come up in push exercises, but they are also a real problem during and after pull-ups. Kipping is especially painful and I think I need to lay off that for now. Any suggestions about shoulder pain and pull-ups, grip suggestion? Is the neutral grip easier on the joint with pull-ups as well?

Old 05-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Darrell,
Lay off the pullups until you can't feel any more discomfort. Then start back into them with caution, going low reps per set and generally low volume. I took this approach when I was first learning the kip and developed posterior shoulder pain on the R side. Some prudent rest coupled with gradual re-training and I haven't had the problem since. The neutral grip is easier on the joint, it's also less functional in certain ways.

As for the grip, make it a bit wider than shoulder width (ie. arms don't come directly up from the shoulders, there should be a small angle b/w the arms and vertical) for both overhand and underhand grip. There isn't a grip width choice with the neutral grip (obviously).

There is a great shoulder "rehab" article by Tyler Hass in one of the CFJs.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #6
Michael Terry

Profile:
Good stuff, guys, thanks much. It's interesting to note that my rear delts and lower traps are sore now (DOMS), so perhaps there *is* a strength problem there.