CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-17-2006, 07:44 AM   #1
Jerry Walker

Profile:
I am getting a weight vest for christmas, and am torn between the 40lb x vest, and the i believe it is called the vmax from weightvest.com it is a short version. I would appreciate input on the 2 quality, function, personal experience etc.

thanks in advance
Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 AM   #2
H. Giovanni Salazar

Profile:
I own an Xvest which holds 80lb's. I stand at 5'5" and I do forced marches, loaded squats, and pull ups with it and lunging. This is the best vest out there for the price. Anti-bacterial element in the inside which helps since you'll be sweating while you use it so Merry Christmas.

You're getting a pretty darn good vest.

Oh, I almost forgot. The velcro really does make the fitting better. You will have to try it on in front of a mirror and adjust accordingly. This thing will not move once you have it on fitted correctly. No bouncing or pinching anywhere. Just a secure fit all around.

(Message edited by gios on November 17, 2006)
Old 11-17-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:
never seen the x-vest, but it sounds great.

i have a 50lb vmax vest. it fits really well and is incredibly durable. weights fit securely in the pockets and don't flop around during plyometrics.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:52 AM   #4
Owen Graham

Profile:
The xvest is the way to go. There are some "Buy It Nows" on ebay that are cheaper than the Xvest website. Xvest is sold by waist size NOT chest size so make sure you realize that when ordering. But, I have yet to see a better vest than the Xvest
Old 11-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Jerry Walker

Profile:
thanks for all the input guys
Old 11-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
Jerry Hill

Profile:
My X-vest is pretty beat-up and torn. It never fit perfect, the back lower flap slaps me in the back during anything dynamic like burpees or kipping.

I pointed a client in the direction of the smart vest and he's been happy:
http://www.smartvest.net/index.asp

The downside is the top load can only go 20-32lbs depending on your size.

Either way check out the website, it's a nice resource.

-jh
Old 11-17-2006, 09:10 AM   #7
Peter Queen

Profile:
“I do forced marches, loaded squats, and pull ups with it and lunging.”

Wow, Giovanni, you must have been sneaking peaks at my training routines because that is exactly what I do with mine. :harhar00:
I also use it for push ups and for running. I love using it with “Goblet Squats”. BTW: how did you get the 80lb version?

http://www.weightvest.com/mensvests.html
(Family/Work friendly link)

Anyway, Jerry, I have had mine for over 8 years and it is the best investment you can make in weighted vest IMO. I have the 50lb Men’s Short version but I hope to get the 25lb attachment for Christmas, (I’ve been throwing hints to the wife for the last 3 weeks).

The weight is distributed just right across the front and back and with the individual slotted pockets you can add any amount of poundage you want up to the maximum allowed level based on the type you have. I can reduce the weight for running or increase the weight for more aggressive workouts on days when I am feeling more like a Neanderthal. It is very comfortable and very adjustable on those days when I need to widen the straps to accommodate wearing more layers under my jacket while hiking outdoors in colder weather. IMHO, you cannot go wrong with this investment even if they are a bit pricy. Make sure you get the sternum insert; it will protect your chest from getting beat up while moving around in it.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Peter Queen

Profile:
Sorry Owen I did not see your post before I linked up with mine. Ebay, hugh?! I'll have to check that out for pricing. I'm always looking there for good pricing but did not think about looking for weight vests there.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jerry, I know what you mean about the flapping part. I don't do a lot of dynamic work with it and it is hard to do with DB thrusters but the newer versions compensate for that now to give beter ROM to the arms for any overhead work. But I am 6'5" with a 55"+ chest and I have no problem with the fitting.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
Jerry Hill

Profile:
Peter, You have the V-Max right? Surfed the site, it looks great, will put it on my list - thanks for sharing...

Old 11-17-2006, 09:34 AM   #10
Owen Graham

Profile:
Ebay isn't that much cheaper, but one guy has free shipping on all his Xvests which always is good due to the weight.