CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-30-2003, 12:09 AM   #1
warren costa

Profile:  
Hello,

Why are kettlebells so expensive?

I priced them at Mymaxtrainer and Dragondoor, the only places I know to look for them, and the average price is about$89.00 for a 35 pounder.

I live in Hawaii, so the shipping charges would be about $100.00, that rounds up to about $200.00 for 35 pounds of iron. Whats up with that?

Warren Costa
Old 03-30-2003, 03:14 AM   #2
jpm

Profile:  
High labor content -- as I understand it, KBs are made using sand molds and then polished by hand.

If you are looking for an inexpensive alternatives, use DBs or make you own KBs see http://geocities.com/briangl2002/kettlebell.htm
Old 06-26-2003, 06:49 AM   #3
Cassidy Drake

Profile:

I found a sight for kettle balls where you buy the set and you can add ten pound plates up to 110 pounds. I will find the sight again today and get back to you. When I get out of Iraq, I am buying one for me and one for my wife. It costs around 100 bucks, but like I said you can adjust the weight as much as you want. Check back later.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:39 AM   #4
Gary Ullery

Profile:
The site is http://www.fractionalplates.com/

Enter the site and click on Unique Equipment in the list of links on the left-hand side of the page. PDA has good stuff and they are great to do business with.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:05 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
No matter how much your kettlebells cost, my bumper plates cost more. It's all relative.
Old 09-10-2003, 08:59 AM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
I posted this several months ago, they work really well. If anyone is interested I could post some pictures.
Kettlebell: Improvised out of black iron pipe
and fittings, use a spinlock DB
Handle from Walmart. Weight is
variable from 25-100lbs.
Total cost w/out weights $22.45
Old 09-10-2003, 05:06 PM   #7
David Heyer

Profile:
Frank,
I'd love to see the pictures.

Warren,
I made a few the same way I made medicine balls; with a basketball, sand and duct tape. The only addition would be PVC pipe with four corners (shaped like a rectangle) also filled with sand. Make the PVC long enough to be covered with sand on the inside of the ball. Tape generously. This will weigh around 25 lbs.
For a heavier kettlebell, fill with lead shot (used for loading shotgun shells), or concrete.

I have also filled plastic gas cans and laundry detergent containers with sand. This is easier, and is less likely to rupture if dropped. You may be able to use lead shot for this too, but I haven't tried that yet.
Dave
Old 09-11-2003, 08:07 PM   #8
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
All right boys and girls, here is a picture of my homemade adjustable kettlebell. http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/1636.jpg See my post above for details. The handle is normally wrapped with athletic tape, but I took it off to replace it. It can hold 100lbs of 10lb plates, or 200lbs of 25 lb plates. If that isn't heavy enough for you, go throw your car around. If you need a lighter weight, i use 3/4 inch long peices of pvc pipe as spacers on either side. Make sure to center the weights!
See coach, I am finally posting pictures!
Frank Ollis
Old 09-17-2003, 03:13 PM   #9
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Another idea for an adjustable KB is to cut out the middle section of a "tricep bar" (w/two parallel grips) which leaves you with two D-shaped handles. The bar should be solid and the only safe collar type is the spin-on type, which will only loosen, not just come off. Put athletic tape around the knurling. If you want more info write me at tcorrigan4@earthlink.net
Old 09-18-2003, 08:21 AM   #10
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
Tom,
I like that idea, I cheat with mine though. I keep a small mallet next to my gear and I tap the collars on with it.
Frank