CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-31-2006, 01:54 PM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hello All,
I'm new to the crossfit world. Did my first crossfit workout last week and loved it. My trainer and close friend, Brandon Walters, introduced me to the system and it's awesome. We did conventional deadlifts and push presses on the 21-15-9 prolonged superset. The weights were light, but it was hard. I think I deadlifted 265 and push pressed 175. It's awesome. Didn't time the workout, but I'm guessing it was completed in around four minutes.

I compete in Lumberjack Sports for a hobby and am looking at new avenues by which to improve my performances. My sport involves the use of razor sharp axes and crosscut saws which requires keen hand eye coordination along with general sports fitness and a world of toughess.

From where I sit, the crossfit system is great on building toughness. I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can from fellow iron heads and pain threshold pushers.

I've tried to attached one of the action shots from my sport. Which was in one of my slimmer days (about 245). I'm now a robust 260 at 5'11". My bodyfat is still below 15%, but I'm keen on losing some of the muscle I've developed from years of unnecessary heavy training. Athletism is the name of the game and a big muscle is not going to help me win the events I want to win.

I'm open to any suggestions and if any of you have seen my sport, please chime in with training ideas as I'm all ears.

All the best,
Arden Cogar Jr. aka jamie
Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 PM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Welcome! At the risk of sounding juvenile, I think its awesome that you are a lumberjack. Do you do the log roll event? It may be something diffrent but at the fair I used to go to they always had lumberjack shows that I loved to watch. They could cut through a tree before I could pick up a saw, it was pretty fun. At 260 I imagine you will have a challenge with some of the bodyweight exercises. If you haven't already check out the zone. That diet (as recommended) makes me lose weight so fast it should be unhealthy, but its not.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:24 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hey Nick,
I do not do the birling or log rolling on the water. I concentrate on the chopping, sawing and chainsawing events. I've done quiet well over the years and hope to do better as I move into middle age. In my sport, the prime years are between 35 and 55. Thus, I'm at the beginning of that scale and I'm looking forward to it as I'm settled in my career and I have time, and a wonderful misses, who loves to train.

I'm a big boned person with a heavy structure. 8" wrists, size 13 shoe, big hands, size 52 jacket, 40" waist, etc. My bodyfat, by caliper is 12%; but I'd say it's closer to 15%.

Believe it or not, I'm fairly fit on bodyweight movements for a larger fellow. I can do 30 bodyweight pullups in one consecutive set and do between 30 and 40 dips in one consecutive set. Push ups are not an issue. I normally do ploymetric pushups on varying height benches (up to 20"). I also do a lot of leaping and bounding and have done sets of 5 onto a 38" box.

However, I've never followed the protocols as outlined by crossfit. I've always done my training on a less intense and more prolonged basis. I've never been big on road work either - I'm not a runner, nor have I ever had a runners build (I was 200lbs at 5'7" at age 14). I ocassionally run 400 meters during my cardio sessions, but that's very seldom. I know I need to and that's one of the reasons I'm on this site. I want to get my bodyweight down.

The strictness of the diet has always been an issue for me. I'm a civil defense attorney who travels a lot for work and I compete in my sport which requires travel. Hence, I eat out more than I care to talk about. I've not looked into the zone, but I'm going to as you've indicated.

Where was the fair you attended? I may have competed there at some point during my career?

Thanks so much.
Arden
Old 01-31-2006, 02:38 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome aboard Arden. I’m a new guy also, just joined 2 days ago. I have to tell you that everybody has been responding very well to me. I am glad I found a home where I can share and learn new ideas in the fitness world. You can see my first posting titled “Superhero in Training” just below this posting if you want. That way I won’t bore you right away with my background. Anyway, it’s cool that you are a lumberjack. I watch that and the strong man competitions every chance I get. You guys use raw and brutal strength, that’s really something. I’m 6ft 5in and currently at 250lbs. I have actually shredded a lot of bulk over the recant years because I just got tired of carrying all the weight that I packed on from the 80’s mentality that bigger is better thanks to all those Arnold action movies. Now that I am a volunteer firefighter, I enjoy being lighter but still as strong as always. At least now I am more agile and can find clothes that actually fit me. Just keep up with your aerobics and increase your salad intake a little. Definitely, increase your water consumption. This helps your body digest the excess food bulk that can sit in your stomach longer than it should. Plus it helps to get rid of that bloated feeling after heavy meals. I’m no doctor but after 45 years I know what does work in general. Learning first hand and keeping informed by talking to people like the fine individuals on CF most of my life has helped me stay in respectable shape.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hey Peter,
One of my training partners is both a strongman and a fire fighter - Phil Pfister. Much like you, he's a walking house. For us short guys, we are envious of your height!!!

I'll never profess to be a super hero in training, but what you're doing is incredibly admirable. Keep up the hard work!!!!

Thanks for the advise on the salad. Will do. The water as well. My biggest vice is pizza and poptarts. i've kicked the poptarts as I don't buy them; nor do I let anyone buy them for me. The pizza is a bit more difficult. To get my fix, I've started using the wheat pizza crusts you can buy at most healthy markets and using low fat cheese and chicken breast or shrimp and stewed tomatoes. Gawd, the more I think about it, the more issues I have with food.

I've never been one to follow the bigger is better mentality of the 80s. I've actually trained as I saw fit for the benefit of my sport. My size has not increased that much over the years, but the quality of my physique has improved. Like yourself, I'm going for the more agile and athletic mode. Hence the interest in crossfit.

I've spared myself of all ego lifts but one - deadlifts. I still get pretty retarded on those every once and while. Phil has been training for the Arnold Classic and my misses and I have been right along side him pulling some silly poundages. What's cool about it is that it hasn't effected my rythym and my tempo for my sport. If anything, it's helped me hit harder because I normally follow the heavy deadlift workout with a 15 minute Tornado Ball session.

Keep up the hard work.

all the best,
Arden
Old 01-31-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
Tony Young

Profile:
Arden,
Welcome! Lumberjack is a neat sport. You've come to the right place for increasing your athletisism.

I emailed with Phil for a couple weeks a couple years ago. He was going to hold an amatuers Strongman I wanted to participate in. It didn't work out, dang it. I'd have been the little guy at 5'10", 220# but I like the challenge. I've trimmed down and am happy with the lighter, faster, leaner version. I'm not really thick enough to carry enough weight for those things anyway. Ah, to be a robust 260#...
Old 01-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Arden, welcome!

30 pullups at a BW of 260 is scary! *cough*FREAK*cough

As a "little guy" (158) who can only get 15 - 17 in a set, I'm suddenly feeling very inadequate :happy: . . . gotta go do some!

Welcome. I think you'll find what you're looking for here.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:00 AM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hey David,
Please note that my 30 pullups are normally nose/chin to the bar and not beyond. I don't like to go higher than that for fear of exposing my rotater cuffs to the robustness of my phat arse.

I've got a lot of years toiling in various facets of weight training. Primarily powerlifting. However, as I aged my joints could not withstand the rigors of heavy squats, heavy benchs and heavy deads. When I was younger, I got my jolleys from heavy sets of squats and deads. Now, I get my jolleys from doing pullups and walking lunges. Go figure?

Here's a cute visual - me, my misses, and Phil doing walking lunges side by side on a basket ball Court. Phil's 6'6" 345. I'm 5'10" 260. My misses is 5'10" 150. What's silly is that she kicks are butts in that exercise. She's a self proclaimed "big woman" but feels so dainty at the gym when she trains with us.

We did a semi cross fit workout this morning. We're working our way to the more traditional WOD's. Here's what Phil and I did: (after 30 minutes of cardio and Paul Chek torso work)
1. Back Squat 315x5 immediately followed by 155 for 15 speed conventional deadlift.
2. Immediately followed by Back Squat 315x5 immediatley followed by 155 for 15 speed incline bench press.
3. somewhat followed by Back Squat 315x5 immediately followed by 155 for 15 speed reps of bent over barbell row.
4. somewhat followed by Back Squat 315x5 immediately followed by 155 for 15 speed reps of lat pull downs.
5. somewhat followed by Back Squat 315x5 immediately followed by 155 for 15 push presses.
6. somewhat followed by Back Squat 315x5 immediately followed by 90 cable "pull throughs"
7. somewhat followed by Back Squat 315x5 immediately followed by alternating 30lb dumbell overhead snatch with a full squat 20 total reps.
8. somewhat followed by Back Squat 315x5 immediately followed by the walking lunges referenced above.

My misses did 95 pounds on the squat and did a 45 pound bar on the other exercises, with the exception of the one arm full squat snatch. She did so well. I'm so proud of her.

Ah gawd, I'm dead. We completed the above in right at 20 to 25 minutes, I think.

i'm gonna feel it tomorrow. This stuff is so fun.

All the best,
Arden
Old 02-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #9
Bob Long

Profile:
Hey did I see you on TV on OLN awhile back. I think it was the Great Outdoor Games.

Welcome to crossfit.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Bob,
The Great Outdoor Games aired on ABC's Wide World of Sports. I got the bronze medal in the Men's Endurance. The remainder of the GO Games aired on ESPN last July, I got a gold as the captain of the East USA Team Relay. I also ended up 8th in the Hot Saw event.

The events that were televised on OLN were the "Lumberjack's Challenge" which had various venues and the "Lumberjack World Championships" from Hayward Wisconsin. I was on several of those programs and would describe myself as the short stocky American from West Virginia who got in amongst all the Tall overseas guys who compete in the sport professionally (ie., full time). I'm a hobbiest. I love my career.

Thanks for catching the episodes. Crossfit rocks.

all the best,
Arden