CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
John Fox

Profile:
I've been trying to think of a way to add more endurance type events to the WOD. I'm in the process of prepping myself for special forces and the WOD has been working nicely but I need to incorporate more running and swimming. Any suggestions? This is what I was thinking...
Wake up, run(3-8 mi at different paces depending on length of run), breakfast, wod, rest, swim(500-1000m)
or another idea I had was to alternate run and swim days instead of doing both events 6 days a week. I would still use the 3 on 1 off routine and add rucking in on the off days later. any suggestions would be appreciated
Old 05-17-2006, 07:52 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Make your WOD longer. Go do Jacob's Ladder or do other longish workouts like:

Run 400
21 KB Swings (52)
21 SDLHP (75))
21 KB Push Press (36)
Run 400
15 KB Snatch (44) 15/15
15 Pullups
15 Ring Dips
Run 400
9 DL + Box jump (190)
9 Rage ball + burpee
9 Dbl KB C & J (44)
Run 400

Your swim is way too short. I swim for about and hour and 10 minutes and get in 3,500 to 4,000 yards in that time. Don't just swim:

500 pull with buoy to warm up
250 hypoxic swims with fins (25 at a time)
250 Tabata swims send on 30 sec. for each lap
250 hypoxic swims with fins
500 drill
250 pull with buoy counting strokes
Main Set:

6 to 8 x 100 on 2 minutes or,
4 x 25 on 30 sec, 2 x 50 on 1 min, 1 x 100 on 2 minutes three times or,
200 on 3:30, 100 on 2:00, 50 on 1:00, 2 x 25 on :30 done 3 times.

You can also throw in 10 lengths with 10 pushups then 9 then 8 and so on after each lengh. Swim with a towel in each hand. The combinations are endless.

My biggest suggestion though is to maintain your general CF outlook but increase the lengths of your workouts and yes, add running, rowing, biking, swimming and while your at it do a triathlon.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:03 PM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Hi John, welcome to CF. As an advocate of running myself,( high school cross-country plus marathons as an adult), I feel that running and swimming will be great for the specific task of SF preparation. As far as your running routine is concerned, you mentioned doing it at different paces. For myself, I usually run 2-3 miles in the morning before I get ready for work. When I run I incorporate speed training and running lunges into my routine. I will do a fast count off on my left foot up to the number 60. This will give me a total of 120 fast steps. My pace is around 90% of my top running speed. I will do this then rest at my normal jogging pace for a few minutes then do it again. I do this throughout the entire 2-3 mile jog. I try to increase my count by 10 to really push my endurance threshold. I use this same technique on the day when I am doing my running lunges. I try to stretch my stride out as far as possible to what is comfortable without losing my balance up to a count of 30 on my left foot. I rest while jogging for a few minutes then repeat the cycle. Lunges give me the most exhilarating feeling ever because I am really pumping through my strides almost like a speed skater. I can really feel my core getting one hell of a workout also. I try to switch off every other day between sprints and lunges to reduce monotony and to keep my legs versatile. Now having said that I would like to add that at the end of my run I will then do a 30 ft bear crawl turn around and crawl back to where I started. At the end of each cycle I then do chair dips and semi-planche pushups. Then I do my bear crawls again. I do this for 3 rounds. When I am done I am dead. The chair dips are accomplished with the use of two small outside tables and a lawn chair. I put my hands on each of the tables to get a real good dip and put my feet on the chair. The semi-planche pushups are just a planche position with my arms down by my waist but my feet are still on the ground. I am still working on full planche pushups with feet off the ground. Anyway, then when I am done I will with what little strength I have left, stumble into the house and take my shower before work. This is what I do every morning if possible. If I skip a few days I will just continue from where I left off.
Keep in mind that this is what I do to increase my over all endurance. This is basically one of my favorite self made WODs. I still do a lot of the other standard CF stuff but this is just something else that I like to do and it really works for me. The bear crawls really work the whole body (legs, core, arms/shoulders) and gives me one hell of a good endurance burning workout. On the weekends when I have more time in the mornings I will do 50ft bear crawls back to back with 50ft full walking lunges (back knee completely touching the ground). These really burn and stretch the legs. Pain is good!
Of course you run up to 8 miles, but you can still add more punch to your running during and after like I do.
Again, this is what I do for myself and it really forces me to keep pushing myself through my feeling of fatigue to keep increasing, as I said, that endurance threshold. And as a fire fighter this is extremely important and as a SF soldier, as in your case, it is even more critically important.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:18 PM   #4
John Fox

Profile:
thanks for the advice guys those suggestions sound really good. if anyone else has anything they'd wanna share with me please keep it coming.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:16 PM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
This is called Me Love You Long Time and when you give it a try you will know exactly why it has such a name. Took me almost an hour but I have not subjected any of my people to it yet. This appears in another thread by the same name but it fits perfectly into this thread as well.

Run ¼ mile
50 KB Snatches 25/25 (44)
50 D-Ball Slams (25)
50 Calories Rowing

Run ½ mile
40 KB Swings (44)
40 Pullups
40 Barbell Push Press (75)

Run ¾ mile
30 Ring Pushups
30 Power Cleans (95)
30 Wall Ball (20)

Run 1 mile
20 DB Thrusters (35)
20 Sand Bag Clean and Jerk (50)
20 Dbl. KB Push Press (44)
Old 05-21-2006, 10:00 PM   #6
Pierre Auge

Profile:
Eugene I like that last workout I'll have to give it a try. On the other note coming from a slightly different stand point having trained friends who are currently special forces pers, and having gone through the training myself, though I'm from Canada and am not too familiar with how you SF folks in the US work. I've had success with bare minimal running and concervative swimming particularly when it comes to long duration events. As far as rucking is concerned long distance rucking was eliminated from my program and I replaced it with short distance extremely heavy weighted short marches of no more then 100m.
"ALA" Dan John's Carried Away!

Here's an example of one of the swimming workouts I used and put some of the other guys I trained through to selection.

Dubbed "Pool, Puke, and Tabata"
8 intervals 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest of
Push-Ups

Sprint Swim 1 Lap

Sit-Ups

Sprint Swim 1 Lap

Swings (Whatever implement allowed near the pool)

Sprint Swim 1 Lap

Squats

Sprint Swim 1 Lap

Commence the Puke Fest if you haven't already!

This is just one example but it worked! And rest assured I am quite well hated for this one. Replacing the swimming with heavy walking lunges is another option if we want to train the rucking ability. I hope thats helpful at all though it may not be, have fun anyhow!!!