CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #1
Mark Perales

Profile:  
For most of 2004 and all of 2005, I was running regularly for 30-35 minutes a day 3-4 times a week. At the end of 2005, in December while playing some football, someone forgot to tell me it's been 13 years since I last scored a TD and I bursted out of a pack and felt my hamstring POP really bad. I pulled up and was limping for about a week. I had never hurt my hamstring in my life, never hurt any leg muscles actually.

I didn't bother going to the doctor, just iced it and rested it. I took about 3 months from any running just to be sure I didn't hurt it again. When I tried running again, I was feeling pretty badly out of shape. But I noticed around 12 minutes into my run, the outer part of my right knee (same leg I pulled the hamstring) started gradually hurting until I couldn't run without pain after about 17 minutes.

I took another week off and tried again, same thing. Took two more months off from running, same thing when I picked back up. For the summer, I've been just lifting weights and tried running earlier this week, same thing.

The Problem: Running for about 15 minutes, I start feeling the pain in the outpart of my knee. Stress also builds on my front lower thigh close to my outer knee area. The pain builds up till I can't run without pain. But as soon as I start walking, no pain. I even head over to the stairmaster when the pain gets too bad and can do another 20 minutes on that with no pain. After looking around, I think it sounds like Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS).

I've tried the stretching for it, the shoes change, the surface change, the opposite side of the track, it won't go away.

Question: I'm wondering if my hamstring injury was worse than I thought. Anyone heard of a connection between severe hamstring injuries and how they could affect this area of the knee afterwards? Maybe I need to do certain strengthening excercises to fix some imbalance?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Mark, first the simple answer, yes your hamstring injury was the initial start of your problems with your knee. Your HS injury could be worse than you thought and so you want to rule that out first. It is very likely that you have developed some ITB issues and quite possibly some tracking issues with your patella. I would lay money, that you have some pretty serious muscle imbalance issues especially between your quads and hs. I would recommend seeing a good Physical Therapist and get a diagnosis.

Here is a good link to the anatomy of the knee showing how there is all kinds of connective tissue pulling in lots of different directions and having an effect on all the other.

http://www.bartleby.com/107/93.html
Old 07-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Mark Perales

Profile:  
Thanks for the feedback J.C.

I have no doubt my HS is not as strong as it should be compared to my quads (especially the injured leg). That HS strain might have been pretty severe. And I never really did "rehab" I just rested it and tried easing back into my normal routine. Looking back I should have probably done some strengthening to build back the muscle that was lost there.

Tried making an appointment but my doctor wants to take a look at it first. Of course, he's gona tell me what I already know and then tell me I need to see some sports-medicine doctor and it'll be a a little longer before I get the right guy to look at it.

I'll keep you all posted on what we figure out.

And please respond if anyone else knows of a direct link example between HS injuries and ITBS.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
http://www.time-to-run.com/injuries/thebig5/itb.htm
http://www.strengthcats.com/SHBknee-pain.htm