CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-09-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Chris Rakowski

Profile:  
Hi there. Seems everybody posts numbers for where they start, so I'm 25, 5'11, and 296 lbs today. That's down from about 380 a year or so ago and 330 in Feb. All done on diet. Several things at the same time have shown me it's time to add exercise to this mix.

So for the past two weeks I've been running two miles daily. Depending on what time I get out of work I do it on an elliptical at a local gym (where I'm trying to shave time off) or on a local college track (where I increase the run/walk ratio).

I'd heard about crossfit from some shooting/training forums and it seems like the total package. So I've been aggressively cleaning out the basement and turning it into something Clubber Lang would be proud of for the last couple days. It's finally done and I believe I have some catching up to do with Linda (probably with just the bar?) today. The videos you guys post of the WOD for the day (the two guys running, pulling/sitting/pushingup and squatting) are inspirational to me beyond words so I hope that's a regular thing.

My biggest concern is falling off the wagon, so I'm making this "public" statement about starting to keep that tendancy in check. After that, my concerns are my knees, and dropping a barbell on myself. Any tips on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for putting all this information up and any future help I receive. I'm interested to see what I turn into.

(Message edited by crakowski on June 09, 2006)
Old 06-09-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
Parker Gates

Profile:
Hey Chris, welcome to Crossfit!
I wanted to address your comment about falling off the wagon and I'm not a coach so I can only share my experience. I have tried many many different workouts and workout methods and have alwyas fallen off the wagon only to get in pitiful shape and try again.
But I have to say that something about Crossfit has kept me coming back for more on a very consistent basis. For me this is rooted in the constant variation of excercises and the excercises themselves. Instead of working on arms on Monday in a traditional workout routine I am working EVERYTHING on Monday with Crossfit and I love that. The consistency issue has been taken care of not by me but by Crossfit!
Keep coming back, it works if you work it!
Old 06-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Peter Queen

Profile:
Welcome Chris:
330lbs down to 296, wow. Keep doing the WODs, get the book Mastering the Zone, check out the nutrition site and keep asking questions. Look at the FAQ page of CF also. If you have exposed beams in your basement (since you are cleaning it out) you should consider getting some rings and a pull-up bar. In time you will not have to run 2 miles a day, I don’t and I have a marathon background but I lost more solid body fat from CF than when I was training for marathons. Good luck.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Chris Rakowski

Profile:  
Thanks for the responses. The diet I've had success with is simply calorie based. X calories per day eating whatever gets me through the day. This tends lately to be things like chicken salad, chili, beef jerky, and sushi. I got the two zone books yesterday (Entering and Mastering) and am trying to see how I can combine what he talks about in there with what I'm doing. So maybe my diet can contribute positively to the exercise instead of negatively. If they don't/can't combine well, I'm not sure what I'll do.

The thruster workout from last week left my quads so dead that it was the end of the daily running. It kinda sucks because the running was leaving me feeling better and better after every time (both in seeing improvements and how I felt the next day) whereas the crossfits have been thrashing whatever part of me seemed to be the focus of the workout that day and leaving it all messed up for days afterwards. I'm going on faith that this will take care of itself a few weeks from now.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Chris, welcome! Keep hammering away at it.
Old 06-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Mechelle Mouras

Profile:  
Rock on, all of us involved in crossfit applaud you. As my hubby would say stick it in and break it off.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:02 AM   #7
Nicholas Burgett

Profile:
Chris, those results are amazing! Keep up with CF and you're going to be astounded at what happens to your body, and your mind. I come from a long endurance background, and I can second what Peter said above. I've lost more body fat doing just CF than I did training for an Ironman.

Scale the workouts, eat well (Zone), and keep at it. You've already done the hardest part: you started down the path. Now just keep putting those feet in front of each other...

Also, if you want more inspriation in video form, check out the videos on the FAQ page. Some truly inspiring work done there!

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General11