CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
Andrew Saltz

Profile:
Starting a CF inspired gym in an inner-city school (long)

I'm 24, I've been Crossfitting for over a year. I had shoulder surgery in December, but I've been staying positive and doing a lot of one arm-oly lifts and squats. I also play competitive Ultimate Frisbee. And last, but definitely not least, I teach 10th grade English in a small, West Philadelphia Public School. My goal is to merge my vocation with my avocation.

The school is not terrible (by Philly standards, anyway) but there is a major dearth of extracurricular activities. We have basketball and track...some inter-murals come spring. I'd like to add a gym program, inspired by Crossfit.

There are a few barriers here. For one, it's only my second year teaching, and my first in the school. My life has mostly consisted of working, Crossfit, and bed. Second, our gym is quit small. We do have a squat rack, at least 1 Oly bar and one curl bar, and some dumbells. But it's dark and dank and there's not much room. We might be able to use the gymnasium, but if there are other activities we will end up sharing an under-sized basketball court.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? Or has anyone tried this? Or anything remotely related?

Thanks in advance!

ps If you questions is "Do you have the money for..." the answer from the District is something like "No. Now we will charge you for asking. and take your copying paper."
Old 02-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
Tom Brose

Profile:
Re: Starting a CF inspired gym in an inner-city school (long)

Contact Steve Liberati ASAP, i doubt anyone could better answer.
http://stevesclub.typepad.com (W/F Safe)