CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:
Deadlift form.... Help before I destroy my back

3 reps at 375... Body weight 145... Form is atrocious though. The trainer there told me to put more weight back in my heels and that I was extending my butt out early then basically using all lower back. Definitely see that here but was wondering if anyone else had some tips.

By the way, the session was deigned to find a 3 rep max, which I clearly did despite it being hideous, so I understand that to fix this form I'll need to back down the weight big time initially. Just wanted some advice on form and technique beforehand.

http://youtu.be/62KFsULE0L4
Old 07-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
Robert Fabsik

Profile:
Re: Deadlift form.... Help before I destroy my back

A side shot would help too.

Before you pull, you need to have all the slack out of the bar, your arms completely straight and a good flat back with the chest raising up. Looked like you grabbed the bar and started pulling, I'd want to see you set up better before starting.

Need to keep the back neutral, 1st rep might not have been bad, but #2 appeared that you were really rounding the lower back.

Head should also be neutral too, you look like you are looking up too much at the start.

Stance looks wide, try narrowerer, but it might be fine.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:

Do you always DL in Oly shoes? Just curios because most folks (including me) prefer flat soles or sock feet to DL in.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

No I usually deadlift in my Innov-8s but unfortunately didn't have em in my gym bag today. Those do feel better when doing these though, so next time we'll see if it makes any difference
Old 07-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #5
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Post a side shot because without it we can only point out the super obvious....

Like don't drop the weight like that. That's super obvious. It doesn't make you look cool. It just makes experienced deadlifters laugh at you. I know because that's what I do when someone does that around me....

But I digress. What you should really do is do a side shot of you doing a medium weight and a side shot of you doing a heavy weight. That way we can get a look at how your form is before it starts to break down under a heavier load.

And I agree with the earlier recommendation that you narrow your stance and grip. They both look fairly wide for a conventional deadlift.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #6
Paul Beuttenmuller

Profile:

Believe it or not, the trainers at my gym instruct us to drop the weight after our last rep if it's heavy.... They say it prevents us from risking injury by setting it down awkwardly.

But yeah I get your point anyways. I'll take a side shot next time with medium and heavy weight and post it. Not sure when that will be considering I've got a competition next weekend so it's a deload week and light activity, but it'll come soon enough. Thanks for all the advice
Old 07-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
Eric Shuty

Profile:

[quote=Paul Beuttenmuller;1077416]Believe it or not, the trainers at my gym instruct us to drop the weight after our last rep if it's heavy.... They say it prevents us from risking injury by setting it down awkwardly.

Whoa. Because setting deadlifts down causes injuries.....

....unlike kipping pull ups, box jumps, olympic lifts, gymnastics, blah, blah, blah
Old 07-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #8
Adam Shreim

Profile:

I just hurt my back setting down a deadlift incorrectly doing 5x1 at 305#. Will probably put me out for another day or so.

I couldn't keep myself tight, but I have adopted the "don't drop the bar, even on the last rep" mentality. Should have dropped it. Experience, difficulty, goals, ect. all play a factor in that decision. Getting it up was tough on rep 5 and I couldn't stay tight OR get a breath to reset my core.

To put it into perspective, my 1RM is only 345, so I am not experienced or strong on the DL by any means.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:32 PM   #9
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beuttenmuller View Post
Believe it or not, the trainers at my gym instruct us to drop the weight after our last rep if it's heavy.... They say it prevents us from risking injury by setting it down awkwardly.

But yeah I get your point anyways. I'll take a side shot next time with medium and heavy weight and post it. Not sure when that will be considering I've got a competition next weekend so it's a deload week and light activity, but it'll come soon enough. Thanks for all the advice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Shreim View Post
I just hurt my back setting down a deadlift incorrectly doing 5x1 at 305#. Will probably put me out for another day or so.

I couldn't keep myself tight, but I have adopted the "don't drop the bar, even on the last rep" mentality. Should have dropped it. Experience, difficulty, goals, ect. all play a factor in that decision. Getting it up was tough on rep 5 and I couldn't stay tight OR get a breath to reset my core.

To put it into perspective, my 1RM is only 345, so I am not experienced or strong on the DL by any means.
If you can't put down your last rep, you shouldn't be lifting it.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #10
Drew Nadeau

Profile:

Dropping the weight is the least of his worries right now.