CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Jay Shafir

Profile:
Lower Back and Right Leg Pain after Deadlifts

Hi everybody,

I started doing Crossfit a two weeks ago. Before that, I was in decent shape going to the gym 5 days a week and cross training. I've had back problems for the past 4 years, namely herniated disk at L5 S1 and left leg pain(sciatica). By working out more, stretching and strengthening my back and core I've been pain free for the past year or so. On Saturday I did the WOD, but I modified it since I'm scared to do dead lifts with my back. I just used the bar (45 pounds). After I was done with the third set I felt a pain in the right side of my lower back and down my whole left leg. I immediately stopped working out and went to stretch and use the foam roller. I also took Advil. I figured it might go away on its own, but it's still there today. I've been stretching nonstop and using the foam roller, but I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas about what this could be and any suggestions for anything else I can try? I used to see a neurosurgeon and neurologist for my back, but it was pretty useless all they did was prescribe Prednisone, Naproxen, and PT. Should I just continue stretching and doing the foam roller, and hope it goes away on its own? Has anybody had any luck with chiropractors?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Jay Shafir

Profile:
Re: Lower Back and Right Leg Pain after Deadlifts

I meant to say I felt a pain down my whole right leg. It's the exact same feelign I had in my left leg before when I had sciatica
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Ian Driscoll

Profile:

I use a chiro and like anything else a good one is hard to find.

I have been having lower back pain because of tight hamstrings, so I use dynamic stretching before WOD and static stretches after. it is a slow process.

Ian
Old 03-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #4
Jay Shafir

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Driscoll View Post
I use a chiro and like anything else a good one is hard to find.

I have been having lower back pain because of tight hamstrings, so I use dynamic stretching before WOD and static stretches after. it is a slow process.

Ian
The lower back pain isnt really bothering me as much as the right leg pain. My right leg just feels wierd. I'm wondering why my pain all of a sudden went to my right leg since it was always my left leg. IT is possible they it will go away on its own or should I try takign anti-inflammatories?
The main issue is the shooting pain down my right leg coming from my lower back, in my butt all the way down to my foot. my lower back on my right side is exremely tender to the touch and so is the upper part of my butt on the right side, left side is fine. Should I be doing heat or ice?

Last edited by Jay Shafir : 03-22-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
Michael Francis Romano

Profile:

Squats make my back feel better, as well as reverse GHD raises. Deadlifts hurt generally. McKenzie exercises help me too. good luck man (I have a herniated disc too, L4/L5)
Old 03-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Jay Shafir

Profile:

Is there somethign I can do to try to get the leg pain to go away? I do all the McKenzie excercises and I've been fine for a while, and never had the right leg pain, I guess I had bad form on the deadlifts, even though I really concentrated on form and was just lifting 45 pounds.

Last edited by Jay Shafir : 03-22-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:47 PM   #7
Todd Dent

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Shafir View Post
Is there somethign I can do to try to get the leg pain to go away? I do all the McKenzie excercises and I've been fine for a while, and never had the right leg pain, I guess I had bad form on the deadlifts, even though I really concentrated on form and was just lifting 45 pounds.
Find a good chiropractor.

It sounds like piriformis syndrome. It's either that or quit lifting for a while.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
Jay Shafir

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Dent View Post
Find a good chiropractor.

It sounds like piriformis syndrome. It's either that or quit lifting for a while.
Why do you think its piriformis syndrome? Do you have any ideas about why it all of a sudden it went to the right leg rather than the left, which is what I've had for years? I have a herniated disk at L5/S1 and also stenosis. I just cant figure out why it wouldnt go to my left leg, anytime I've done something with my back before, I always had pain in my left leg. I also can't figure out how deadlifts with such a low weight could bring this on. I've been doing the stretches for piriformis, could just doing the stretches make it go away. I've stopped doing stuff like deadlifts and squats, but im still doing pullups, pushups, bench press, etc. It doesnt seem to aggravate anything.

Would a chiropractor be the best to contact about this or a neurologist or orthopedist? I've never been to a chiropractor before and my other doctors kept telling me it was dangerous to see a chiropractor. How many visits do you typically need with a chiropractor?
Old 03-22-2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Alan Haisler

Profile:

Jay,

I suggest you try using a Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) who has been trained in and practices Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine (OMM). A good D.O. can do the High Velocity Low Amplitude ("crack and pop") techniques commonly associated with Chiropractors in addition to "soft tissue" techniques that are much more subtle.

Another option would be either an M.D. or D.O. specializing in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM & R). They try to "fix" problems using non-surgical means such as Physical Therapy. If they determine you need surgery, they'll recommend it.

With you being in New York, you may find the best of both by looking up a D.O. who uses OMM and has completed a residency in PM&R. You might want to visit http://www.academyofosteopathy.org YOU MUST ENSURE YOU ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.to do a search in your area.

Last edited by Lynne Pitts : 03-27-2009 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:12 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Sounds like you might have slipped your SI joint and/or had some aggravation of your existing condition. Could also be something like spondylolisthesis (anterior displacement of vertebrae -- slipped disk). My guess is on the former (SI joint) but I wouldn't rule out the other stuff.

I would consider seeing a physical therapist that does manual therapy as well. That would be my preference.

The above post sounds ok.. but I don't have much experience (seeing/hearing) about osteopathic medicine so I can't give you a low down if that will help you much.