CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-25-2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
I'm about 5ft 6inchs and I now weigh about 135. Over the last 6 months I've lost about 20lbs. I realize that I will gain some back but that it will be muscle. Even 20lbs ago I had a muscular body. The other day I saw a picture of Eva T and Megan Mitchell, Nicole and Annie. I realize that I would have no idea how much they weight since they are mostly muscle. I'm not trying to be vain just curious. I'm also not hung up on weight over all. It's just that my body has changed so much that I'm at a loss as to where it will go. In that thought I understand that everyone is different..
Old 08-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Muscle will not grow [well] in a calorie-deficient environment. For example, yoga gurus tend to be skinny because they don't eat. It's not so much the workout as it is the combination of exercise and diet. Tara Nott won a gold medal in weightlifting weighing 105. Her teammate Cheryl Haworth won bronze (in a different weight class!) weighing closer to 300. Both trained in very similar styles. So it's hard to make assumptions about where you'll end up.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #3

Profile:

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking... Are you asking if you're on the way to an annie/eva/nicole body?

like lincoln says, your weight and body comp will depend a great deal on nurition and training. but keep in mind the role genetics play in the game. annie, eva and nicole are examples of women (humans, for that matter) with naturally very anabolic body environments. they train very hard and eat well, but the results returned for their efforts (at least in terms of body comp) are beyond typical. what i'm saying is where your body is going is dependent on a number of variables, only some within your control, and annie/eva/nicole may not be proper samples.

so if you're concerned that you're losing too much weight, you need to eat more. as lincoln said, you won't gain weight in a calorie deficit. nutritional factors will also give you the most control over body fat, but again, your genetic predisposition is going to play a big role regardless.

is that at all what you're looking for, or do i need to readjust my crack intake again?
Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Sounded to me like she was wondering what Annie/Eva/Nicole weighed.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:58 PM   #5
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
No, I'm not worried about losing to much weight. No, I'm not thinking I will have a Annie/Eva body. For most of my life the women around me who are of average size and of average fitness fall into a weight range. My question is when you are of this average size and you become much more fit what weights are the range. I think that is what I'm asking. I do realize all the variables. I hope that helps. In my head this question makes sense, I'm finding it hard to put it in to words
Old 08-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
If it helps you Jennifer, my wife is about the same exact height and weight as you. She works out hard, including a lot of weight work. She makes comments that she used to weigh less, but she puts on muscle more easily than most women I see (I can't beat her in a posedown!). She knows the scale is not that important, but I catch her weighing herself once in a while. She looks good!
Old 08-25-2006, 06:18 PM   #7

Profile:

i won't disclose the weight I know in this case in case she doesn't want me to, but i'll say in general if you're "fit", i.e. carry more than average muscle, you'll be on the heavier end of the "normal" range.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:42 PM   #8
Eva Twardokens

Profile:
Jennifer,
A healthy weight for me is 135-140, I am 5'5" tall on a good day. My weight fluctuates depending on the type of activity i am doing. If I go on a surf trip and surf 6 hrs a day, I can lose a ton of weight...this july i tipped the scales at 128. that is NOT healthy for me...I think that when I start CrossFitting I pack on muscle pretty fast. I have been as heavy as 149 and felt good about my body. My parents have focused an athletic lifestyle on me since I was 3, so I have been working on this for most of my life! I have pretty good genes too....thanks Mom and Dad. I do also work very hard and eat within 80% of target for the most part. I decided a few years ago NOT to weigh myself any more...I go by how my clothes fit, and weigh myself about quarterly. I have looked great and been heavy, and looked soft and been the same weight. I just focus on keeping my body moving in as many ways as possible, staying excited about it, and eating well. If you keep forging ahead, and have great inspirational performances ( thanks Bode) that should keep you satisfied with " the you".
Old 08-25-2006, 11:13 PM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Eva, thanks for posting that. I am good bit over my "ideal" weight, some Legitimately excess BF% but I've gained a significant amount of muscle and have lost 3 clothing sizes while fluctuating only about 10 pounds since startng crossfit.

(Message edited by laurar on August 25, 2006)
Old 08-26-2006, 02:59 AM   #10
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Thanks for posting Eva. I hope I don't sound like a vain and weight obsessed person. I've been doing sports all my life. Sometime in my 30's my body slowed down and it seemed I lost a lot of muscle, even though I was still playing hockey and cycling..on and on. Now I've made this huge change in my life doing CF. My body has changed again. I'm just trying to have a healthy perspective. Since I lost about 20 lbs I stopped weighing myself. That was about a month ago. I mostly go on how I feel. But my body has more muscle and I'm finding I'm hungry all the time. So I'm new to my new body and when I do get back on the scale I don't want to fall off with shock!
Thanks for talking about this sensitive topic.