CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
Jared Grisham

Profile:
As a personal trainer, I have been doing crossfit for about 7 months now. Trust me when I say that I am disciple of the program. Unfortunately, I am the only one in my gym who trains this way. Although I train my clients in exercises/workouts that are heavily influenced by Crossfit (who love the workouts by the way), I am having a hell of hard time beating away the bodybuilding-type trainers who want me to work out with them. My head trainer, who encourages us to train with our fellow PTs, is always trying to get me to do a bodybuilding regiment with him.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem? Any advice on how to effectively subvert this mentality? I have already read the article addressing this issue. Leading by example with respect to the workouts is definitely making believers out of my clients, but not my fellow staff. Any suggestions?
Old 04-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #2
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Is bodybuilding their goal? Or is it general fitness? Perhaps you could tell them you aren't interested in size for its own sake so their routine is not optimal for you. That doesn't slam what they are doing (assuming they are wanting size) but lets them know why you aren't particularly interested.

I'm not a PT so I have no idea if that would work. OTOH, if you steal their clients, they'll likely perk right up... :biggrin:

howard
Old 04-23-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
James Dent

Profile:

Jared I sometimes have a very similar problem..

My mate Steve does what I jokingly call the "Image Workout" which runs like this:

1. Wear a too small white vest a la Bruce Willis in Die Hard/ t-shirt with sleeves rolled up
2. Wear a pair of black fingerless gold's gym gloves
3. Overuse a sunbed/ fake tan/ moisturiser with a tint lol/ before workout
4. grab the tri pull-down bar. Angle your pumped tricep to get the maximum visual access from other gym members
5. throw in a steady run, a few sets of shrugs and bi curls
6. spend the next 30 minutes tensing your bi's in the mirror
7. get changed, go home
8. spend the next 30 minutes tensing your bi's in the mirror
9. eat dinner
10.spend the next 30 minutes tensing your bi's in the mirror

I'd like to stress I'm only with him up to point number 7 but you get the picture...
Old 04-23-2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
All work and no play makes jack a dull boy.

Do something other than "work out" together to build relationships.

How about paintball (or some other activity where a crossfitter would "own")?
Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
*** for tat. Agree to join him in his workout first on the condition that he tries one of yours the next time around. It's only fair, so man up and extend the olive branch first.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Eric Wu

Profile:
I agree with William. Workout with them and then invite them to workout with you. I bet you'll learn something from them, and if nothing else it's a chance to practice your movement coaching skills (assuming their workout doesn't consist of only biceps curls and triceps extensions).

Better yet, I'll bet they learn something from you when you take them through a Crossfit-influenced workout. Once they have a taste of the Kool-Aid maybe you won't be the only trainer using Crossfit methodologies.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I agree with William, too. They do a workout with your then you'll do one with them. Who knows you may convert a trainer or two.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Jared Grisham

Profile:
Thanks for the advice guys. I never thought of engaging them in an activity where our levels of fitness is actually put to the test.

Unfortunately I don't want to waste a good CF WOD on one of their bodybuilding routines since it is completely limited to exercises to the likes of bicep curls and tricep extension. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet though and just do it with them.

What's so funny is that another personal training outfit within the same gym has been watching what I have been doing with my clients, and now they have begun employing CF exercises within their programs. Only my own fellow staff refuse to give it a shot.

It's true that there is nothing wrong with bodybuilding -- if looks is all they care about, and they simply just want to get big beyond belief. I understand that not everyone wants to become a performance athlete.

However, it's very rare that a client comes in and their goal is to build as much muscle as possible. Usually they want to get back in shape so that they can get better at some sport or just be generally physically fit. Hell, even clients who simply want to burn fat and nothing else would do it 10 times faster with Crossfit principles than with bodybuilding. So when the other trainers put them through a bodybuilding routine, I truly feel like those clients are really getting shafted.

That's the problem that I have, and that's why I am getting so frustrated with these guys. It's not that the trainers are bodybuilders. It's because people are coming to us with certain goals in mind and some of my fellow staff aren't prescribing what's best for them.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:48 PM   #9
Jared Grisham

Profile:
I know that last paragraph is a deviation from what I originally said in my first post. I don't think I had gotten to the root of my problem until now, so sorry for hijacking my own thread :g:
Old 04-23-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
Jared, would your staff/management be open to a crossfit workshop/seminar of sorts? Convincing them that way might be the way to get some CF principles implemented into their training routines - for themselves and members as well.