CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-19-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Sam Streck

Profile:
A question of Bench Press

I would like some input on this. I've decided to go with pea-gravel as my choice of bag filler. It doesn't shift as much as sand, but it will have to do, as requested by my dad. It's also easier to clean up should I spill. I bought a god to honest bench, but in my hast I didn't read who is was made by and got a weider. It came with 100lbs worth of metal weights and that's what drew my attention to the bench. Looking at the stats for the bench, it's once again 300lbs for maximum user weight. I have before that bought a Marcy, but that still was the same user weight as the bench I have now.

Here's where I would like some input on. Should I use the bench or use this alternative: a folded futon mattress. Before you laugh, the mattress is incredibly sturdy, and my goals for the future are not much 150lbs*10 but that's in the long long time from now future. I am right now sitting at 130*5 on a very very very good day, and I wouldn't be the only one using the bench though. I have a 6 foot 4 brother who weighs in around 210 or so and is naturally stronger then I am. I tested the mattress and it it allow for full ROM for a flat bench, and I could prop it up if I had to for incline/decline. I don't know how quite yet, but I could get creative.

I should add that I am going to be using sandbags for a majority of my workouts and that I bought the bench I have now from sam's club because of the metal weights. If people think that I should return the bench, then I will.

I ask that if anything negative is to be said, direct it to me through the PM system. Honest feedback would be great. I wish I could find the group of pictures from rosstraining.com that makes the home gym that I am setting up look professional. They use a sled covered with blankets as their bench.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Eric Douglas

Profile:
Re: A question of Bench Press

Unless you got it for $20, I'd consider returning it. Fitness equipment has a very low resale value and if you spend 2 days watching the Minneapolis / St Paul craigslist sporting goods section (http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/spo/) wfs you should be able to find a much nicer set for a great price. I see right now on there a similar bench, with 250 lbs of olympic weights, dumbbells, and other goodies for $80.

Good luck!