CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-26-2007, 04:40 AM   #1
John Booda

Profile:
I am genuinely happy to have found CF! I work in Law Enforcement and see countless benefits both personally & professionally.

Nonetheless, here I am again, having come full circle in attempting to control my diet. Most of what I read sounds great, but very difficult to maintain over the long-term (at least several weeks)

Complicated plans/calculations/meal preparations and the like tends to sap the motivation I have to stick it out.

Sounds all painfully common right?

I thoroughly enjoy the WODs, I just bought the beginnings of a CF home gym...I'm excited about that. I NOT looking forward to the changing of my diets habits though.

What do you all do to keep it up? My cravings kill me and make it difficult to focus on much else? I've tried numerous times and I am frustrated and angry.

Perhaps I just need a good kick in the ^%#$? ;)

Thanks,

JB
Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
Michael Leach

Profile:
I put a huge emphasis on how I feel after eating, not on how it tastes. If I eat lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc, afterwards I feel GREAT! I could go run around the block or do anything. However, if I eat something thats bad for me, I feel like crap.

I often wonder if some of it is mental...
Old 02-26-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
Michael Leach

Profile:
oh, and if its any help, i just switched over to Paleo a little over a week ago, though i've ate pretty healthy for several years. this just forced me to be a little more strict.

i dont measure anything, i dont calculate anything, i keep foods on hand that im okay to eat and then just have at it. dinner is usually lean meat and steamed veggies. snacks are usually fresh fruits and/or nuts and/or jerky. lunch is usually some leftovers from something i made in the crockpot: a roast, chili, etc. i make a big pot of something and dont have to worry about making lunch.

i still haven't figured out the breakfast thing. this morning i had 3 sausage links, 3 eggs (omega3 added, cooked overeasy [dippy]) and a smoothie consisting of ~1 cup strawberries and a banana. most days im not out of bed in time to cook anything and i usually eat a banana or apple on the way to work.

i haven't read too much about the zone, but i think theres more food options, but its more restrictive on how much you can eat and eating the correct portions of each type of food at each meal (protein, carbs, fats). paleo is a more strict guideline of acceptable foods and you can eat as much of them as you want.

hope that helps a little. i just switched over to paleo a little over a week ago and i was pretty overwhelmed when i started, but im getting the knack of it now.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #4
John Booda

Profile:
Thanks Micheal! I appreciate that. I'll keep at it.

PP
Old 02-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #5
Joshua Murphy

Profile:
John -

I struggle with the same issues (more so over the last year).

Consider yourself kicked!
And I will throw in a kick for my own *** as well!

Good Luck!
Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
John, take it in steps. First thing is to clean out the unhealthy foods from you kitchen. Don't worry about blocks or food sizes. Eat lean protein, vegetables, some fruit, and good fats 5 times a day. You know what's good for you and what is not. If your going to cheat, do it within an hour after your workout. Once your eating the correct foods, we could then worry about portions. Lean meat (including fish and eggs), vegetables, fruit, oatmeal is ok, almonds, walnuts, mixed nuts, olive oil, you could supplement with fish oil and a good protein powder. Don't worry about the type of fruit or vegetable, just eat clean foods...stay away from processed. Try this for 3 months and see what happens.