CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-14-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Ted Williams

Profile:
So...I'm having a motivation issue recently. I got sick a couple months ago (or month and a half) and got off my regular workout schedule...and more importantly, very large political issues at work have really brought my motivation down.

I'm dealing with some serious issues at my current agency, and am now actively looking at moving to another one. The problem I am having is that federal LE hiring is really slow...and the problems at my office and with my agency are only getting worse. I've applied to the various alphabet soup agencies, and am now sitting, waiting to get called for interviews and all that other fun stuff. Heck, its gotten so bad that I have seriously been considering ditching the Fed for local enforcement...going with the department that has been trying to recruit me away from my agency. Just not sure I can make that move from doing complex casework, which I love, to pushing a patrol car...even local investigations are vastly different from the type of work I have been doing (different, no better or worse, just different).

Ok...so all this crap has been laying a serious wet blanket on my workouts...so how do folks motivate themselves to bust their own *** when going through crap like this?

Thanks,

T
Old 03-14-2006, 10:28 AM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I just try to remind myself that 99% of the population makes excuses for not eating right and exercising every day, and I'd like to consider myself better than that...Once I start thinking about the state of most people's fitness, I'm quickly motivated to do what I can to ensure that will never be me.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:51 AM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I'm going through something like that myself, for different (although on many days, like today, uncomfortably closely related) reasons, and at the moment I'm just rolling with it. I'm working out religiously once a week to keep from becoming too much of a slug, but that's it.

As I see it, there are 3 main reasons to work out often:

1) you enjoy it intrinsically. When you're unhappy generally, that spills over here. Things just aren't as much fun, because you don't bring as much gas and enthusiasm to it.

2) overall health. This part is longer term. A lot of it is just not getting fat, and maintaining basic muscle and cardiovascular tone. Starting from a decent base, I think once a week is enough to maintain health, if not fitness.

3) Specific occupational demands, such as soldiering. Here, the difference can be life or death, so you really don't have a choice.

1 and 2, it's kind of up to the individual. Take your fish oil, mostly Zone, and make a decision, and don't feel guilty.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:
I can only share my experience. During periods of stress, trials and tribulations, I MUST workout. I have to do whatever I can to get good chemicals going in my head. Otherwise, I fill my head with 'stinkin' thinkin' which does nothing but make my situation worse.
We are unable to control some of the events of our life, but we can control us. If I train, I feel good about me, and I personally don't move backward. This also helps me to 'think about what I'm thinking about'.

Our 'self-talk' creates scenario's that are assumptions or lies. We lie to ourselves about things we have no control over and we create for ourselves, worse situations than we're dealing with.

When I train, I eliminate those negative self-talk times and I create positive, rewarding self talk that gives an escape from the craziness.

It helps to prepare me to think about my negative self-talk, and rebuke it.

If training gives me 1, 2, 4 hours of relief from the craziness that goes on in my head, GREAT!!!!!
I am also better prepared to face the reality. That reality could become positive, if I decide to look for the positive.

The alternative is to NOT create relief, and not think about what I'm thinking about, and fall further into the pit of sh&&!! I choose NOT to do that.

Does this make sense?
Old 03-14-2006, 12:13 PM   #5
John Velandra

Profile:
One thing I've started doing when I feel... ughhh, is go read Eugene's commentary about this topic a few weeks ago.

Sorry I don't know location, I just saved it onto my computer. It helps me refocus...
Old 03-14-2006, 12:23 PM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
When my son was diagnosed with leukemia, I stopped working out and ate whatever I wanted. I realized I was going to come out on the other end of this...in a lot worse shape. Realize that whatever course you choose, it's going to go a lot smoother if your in shape. Now get off your a$$ and workout, oh and put down that donut!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
But Larry, it's good to have some comfort food in times of trial. Gimme back my donut, dammit!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:44 PM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

As C.S. Lewis said in "Till We Have Faces":

"When the mind is troubled, exhaust the body."
Old 03-14-2006, 01:21 PM   #9
Patrick Kennedy

Profile:
David,

Nice call! Awesome book!

Ted,
I'm just getting over the flu, and my motivation, not to mention energy, is pretty low. I just "show up" and get moving. I got sick just before the last "Fran," and I'm mentally staring at that workout. I approached it today, but I still don't have the energy. So I just did sets of thrusters and pullups for twenty minutes. Just keep moving, that's all, and the motivation will come back. Oh yeah, read that book.

Patrick
Old 03-14-2006, 04:03 PM   #10
Ted Williams

Profile:
Hey folks, thanks for the nice words of encouragement...sorry for the pity-poor-me nature...I freakin loved my job, had the greatest fun in the world, and now for no apparent reason (other than egos of people who should know better), I can't stand coming into work now...

I have good days where I bust my *** because I'm so ****ed I need to get that negative energy out...but mostly its just hohum...hey, bright side is at least I don't really like junk food, didn't really before I started being healthier, and don't still now...downside is that I've been making and eating a bunch of those Performance Menu chocolate balls...damn, those are tasty.

Larry - I don't eat donuts :lame: