CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-23-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
Kevin Perry

Profile:
I havn't posted here in a while and im always off and on again on cross fit but I do my best with what equipment I have available and what food I have available.

How do you manage to keep your motivation on staying with cross fit and staying with a workable diet?

Im trying to find that motivation again to keep with it but it is not always easy. Im trying to find some ideas on keeping up with the program and keeping track of results.

It would also be nice if some of you could provide your own stories on how you delt with motivation.

A little background on myself: I have a lung infection which has stayed constant for over a year now. It takes a long time to recover from these types of infections and it can make getting back into shape a real long and sometimes painfull process.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Training partner. Your best motivational tool is someone you train with that sometimes pulls you along and that sometimes gets pulled by you. That is the best way. If that is not workable, continue to post here keeping track of how others are doing checking on the progress of others and telling us of yours. Keep a training log and always keep track of your workouts. If your diet is spotty, start writing down everything you eat. Everything. If you have to record what you shove down your neck you tend to be more careful. Go to a certification seminar or at least make a trip to an affiliate now and then and workout with a group.

When all else fails look at the rest of the world and the miserable condition of the teeming masses. That ought to be enough to scare you back into the fold.

A year long lung infection? Man, that's a workout killer. If this means you have a hard time with metcon stuff and long workouts become a master of those things you can do. Work on your Tabata squats until you can get your score to 20 or 22. Get you pullups to 30 or whatever a good number is for you. Work on your pistols, develop your overhead squat and learn to do handstand pushups. Don't dwell on your weakness, take advantage of this time to get fabulous at something, or many things.

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:00 AM   #3
Lawrence Doane

Profile:
How's your motivation level in the other aspects of your life? I find it rare that someone can't seem to stay in the gym but is focused in other aspects of their life. Or, in other words, focus and determination in one aspect of your life can be conducive to building it in all aspects. Just a thought.

Personally, no matter how bad I'm sucking I can remember a time when it was worse and that if I survived that, I can power on through this.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:51 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
It's important to have goals. Long term, mid-term, and short term. Why are you working out and eating right? The reasons vary but they all provide motivation.

One quote that is common around here: "Today we do what others won't, so tomorrow we do what others can't."
Old 10-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #5
Peter Queen

Profile:
One quote that is common around here: "Today we do what others won't, so tomorrow we do what others can't."

I like that one. Works for me.:showoff:
Old 10-24-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
David Bennett

Profile:
Kevin, I struggle with motivation as well. Two things that have helped me with keeping up my motivation for crossfit are (1) having someone to work out with and making commitments with them a week in advance as to when we were working out and (2) keeping a detailed training journal. Even if I get just 1 more second on my L-sit, its a victory!

I also find the cognitive therapy exercises in David Burn's book "Feeling Good" helpful for identifying ways my own thinking patterns are contributing to my lack of motivation.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Dan Strametz

Profile:
Kevin sorry about the lung infection, as far as the motivation as stated above training buddy, goals, tracking all great ways to stay hungry. The Crossfit is more then just a workout, it is a fitness lifestyle. Not wanting to be average, always striving for more. Stay with it and it will become your life.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Kevin:

Good day for me to weigh in on this one. About a month ago I felt like I was on "cruise control", just couldn't push myself. I started a thread on community and received some great ideas/insights. I had a monster day (for me!) today in the gym with a PR on Fran and Deadlift max. So what was it that ultimately let me break through?

A couple of things, both mentioned above. I became a little more self-aware, a little more knowledgeable about how my life outside the gym was affecting CF. And I did a couple fo work-outs with partners. First one was at an affiliate while traveling to Denver (thanks once again to Randy at CF Denver), next was with a local CF'er (thanks and props to Bill Russell), and then one with my younger cousin visiting from out of town and one with my 18 yo son. The push-pull of a partner is difficult to resist, and knowing that you will be working out together gives you some time to get excited about the upcoming work-out.

What Eugene, et al. above suggest worked for me. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Kevin Perry

Profile:
Thank you for all the replies. There are a lot of good ideas here to work with and im going to incorporate as much as I can to make CF an every day part of my life especially with the benefits that come from it.

As far as other aspects of my life, i've been unemployed for a few months and finding a job out here is not easy and my social life is'nt a very strong one since im also new to this area. I miss being in the Corps to an extent.

That is basically what im dealing with.

Eugene, What is a crossfit seminar? Im interested to learn more about it.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
Mary Wilcox

Profile:
I struggle with motivation also. I've been crossfitting for about 3 weeks now. Two days ago I was able to see a small, measurable improvement in one area (I've been doing squats to a box and was able to do them with good form on a 8" box instead of a 12" box). So try keeping a very detailed workout log, or posting your results and modifications (if any) to comments each day.

I'm good at doing some version of the wod every day. I'm putting other parts of my life on hold for a while until doing the wods becomes automatic. Meanwhile, I'm trying very small improvements to my diet.

The lung infection is a nasty problem. I'm guessing that you must be very careful not to overdo or you'll pay a heavy price. One of my goals is to keep track of the exercises that come up in the wod, and try to find a manageable version that will provide a base for the move I can't do, for example if "run" is in the wod, I substitute "walk". For "deadlift" I do air squats, etc. Do you know what, if anything, will make your lungs worse?

I also keep muttering "At least I'm showing up. At least I'm showing up. At least ..." Other phrases that help me are: "I don't have to like it, I just have to do it," and "Do it as a discipline until it becomes a delight."

What I'm saying is figure out where you are now, learn where you have room to maneuver, and keep track of every small improvement.

What has worked for you before?