CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-20-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Jeanette Lotz

Profile:
Over the past few months I feel like I have really let myself go. For the past 7 years I have been at the gym 5 days a week and have really watched what I eat. However, since the fall I just find it harder and harder to get myself in the gym and get motivated. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that I can't stand my present gym (right now I am looking for a new one). It just isn't an inviting place to work out. I also had an accident about a year ago where I separated my clavical and since then have just had a hard time getting back in the swing of things. I decided back in the fall to switch things up a bit so I started taking pilates and yoga but that just isn't cutting it.

I am extremely hard on myself and although everyone around me tells me I look great, I know that I am just not in good shape anymore. I used to be ripped and now I feel flabby. When I first started really working out I lost tons of weight and was down to 112 pounds. I was definitely too thin at that weight and felt my best around 123. Now I am 135 and my weight gain has become a point of obsession for me. I am really preoccupied with the fact that I feel horrible. I know that by no means am I fat, but my standards for myself are very high. Right now my main goal is to get back in shape and lose about 10 pounds in the process. I start CrossFit tomorrow night and enrolled in a 4 week camp. I am hoping that will jump start everything and put me on the right path.

I am extremely nervous to start Crossfit because I know that I am going to find out how out of shape I am. I know I have to start somewhere but I am worried that I am just going to get discouraged. Any words of wisdom out there?
Old 03-20-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Don't worry about what other people are accomplishing on their WODS, scale the WOD to what you can do, don't get hurt, stick with the schedule, unless you need rest. Take pride in what you accomplish, post what you do to comments, don't negative self-talk, you will be ok. Welcome!

Old 03-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Getting hurt is a real motivation killer. You don't want to work your hardest anymore because you're afraid of hurting yourself again, but if you don't work your hardest, you might as well not do it at all! At least that's how I feel sometimes. I think a change of pace is the best idea to refresh your motivation. Changing gyms and trying new workouts sounds good.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #4
Dan Colson

Profile:
Indicate your new to crossfit in the comments wednesday when you post results, which I'm sure you will. I guarantee others will notice your interest in improving, this community is amazing, the comments page will keep you motivated and inspired to become your best. Welcome! and be sure to thoroughly go over the getting started page and FAQ.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Carrie Beauchamp

Profile:  
Welcome to Crossfit Jeanette, you are going to love it.

You will find that CrossFit will expose your weaknesses. Learn and grow from them.

I believe in living in the present. Evaluate your current situation/condition to determine where you are at. From there set your goals.

For the future, I prepare for what I think will come and for what I want. Most everything in life is a choice. Just make sure your choices will help you reach your goals. Some choices will have immediate impact on your life and other choice you will see their impact a long ways down the road.

Regarding the past, I leave it behind taking only what I need from it. Instead of dwelling on what I use to be I remembered what I did to get there and implement those things into the present again.

CrossFit has taught me so much about myself. I thought I was in shape. Now I know how out of shape I really was. Be strong and accept the reality but remember you have the power to change it. Soon today’s reality will be a thing of the past.

Hey all I know is the roll of fat under my belly button that I thought I could never lose is smaller, my thighs that use to jiggle are rock hard, and my body just feels tighter. All the running, cycling, and swimming in the world has never done this for me. I contribute it to CrossFit WOD and the Zone.

The first month was hard for me because I felt like I needed to run and bike more. My husband convinced me to dedicate myself to it for two months to see what happens. All I have to say is I am amazed at the results I have had and there is no turning back to what I was doing before.

I hope this helps :-)
Carrie
Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 AM   #6
Matthew Townsend

Profile:
The fact that you have posted the way you have indicates to me that you are destined to succeed. Post your results to this thread Jeannette and let us know how you are getting on.

As some cheesy Chinese philosopher once said, the journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Jeanette Lotz

Profile:
Thanks everyone!!! Tonight is the big night. I am nervous but eager to get the ball rolling.

I will definitely let you all know how I do.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:14 AM   #8
Jason Billows

Profile:
Good luck tonight. You're going to love CF.

I'd suggest that you write down your goals, both short and long term, and commit to sticking with the program for a month. I bet you'll be amazed at the results and motivation will no longer be a problem.

Old 03-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #9
Jeanette Lotz

Profile:
Well, this CrossFit camp is 4 weeks long, two times per week. I figure I can do workouts in between. CrossFit Philly doesn't offer classes, just personal training sessions and the camp. I have a feeling I am going to be doing a lot of the stuff on my own which is my problem.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Jeanette Lotz

Profile:
Well...I did it. It literally kicked my butt but I got through it. Basically this CrossFit Camp is different than your everyday CrossFit workout. It is a combo of WOD's and lasts 45 minutes with some 1 to 2 minute rests added in. At one point I thought I was going to fall over and when I got home I could barely move! Very, Very sore today. Good thing I have yoga tonight!

If anything is going to get me in shape then it is this. I had to modify quite a bit of it but this gives me something to work towards. There were only 6 people in the session and I was the only beginner. Another session tomorrow night.