CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-02-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Emily Maisannes

Profile:
Ok, so maybe I can run... a little

My boyfriend and I were visiting his parents in MS. I had been denied my CF addiction for a couple of days, so I had tons of energy to burn. I decided to go for a run. I wanted to see how 5 miles felt. I had plenty of time, so I figured I'd run some and walk some. I ran from mile 0 to mile 2 at a moderate pace (for me). I did a combination of running and walking for the next half mile. Then I got a huge calf cramp. I walked most of the next mile. Then it was getting dark, and I didn't realize it before, but I was heading into a really rough part of town. I pressed on, jogging most of the way. Then I crested the hill about a mile from their house. So after doing 4 miles and being thoroughly exhausted, I just about sprinted the last mile. I had LOTS OF MOTIVATION. I was freaked out by the neighborhood, it was completely dark, and I could see the end. I probably did that last mile in well under 8 minutes. I was trucking the whole way.

So I made a huge discovery: I have a massive mental block against running. If I can just get some kind of motivation, I can do it. I know I won't be able to keep that pace during regular workouts, but I *can* physically do it.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Jeff Bowser

Profile:
Re: Ok, so maybe I can run... a little

Good job. It's amazing what you're capable of doing VS what your mind tells you. Keep going through that mental block, and you will achieve far more than you ever thought possible!