CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-19-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
so wondering what everyone's views are eating at night time. Im 19 years old, and seem to always be eating.. dont get me wrong, i am very good about my eating habits. Lots of lean protein, fruits, veggies, and whole grains..sometimes though i get a little hungry at night, and usually suffice myself with a protein shake and a spoon of peanut butter...is this ok? is there anything else thats applicable to eating at night time??
Old 04-19-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
Daniel Miller

Profile:
Hey Charles,
I am of the sort that applies thermodynamics and power output to nutrition and exercise...in other words you got to fuel yourself and if you havn't done enough of that throughout the day then you'll be hungry at night. If so, eat.
I'm 26 and always eat something at night after dinner. Protein and almond or peanut butter is at the top of the list.
I kept track of my calories for a little while on fitday.com and found that I definitly needed to have some food after dinner in order to maintain. If you have the time, it's a good thing to do.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #3
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Chas,

First and foremost, welcome to the board bro! Good to see you here. I am on the same page as Dr. G - I would add more calories/food into your diet either at dinner or earlier in the day. I've been cutting off food intake at least 3 hours before bed and it has had a very positive impact on my quality of sleep and recovery. What I've heard/read is that your get your strongest surge of GH very close to the time you first go to sleep. Since GH and insulin are are antagonistic, I figure that keeping insulin levels as low as possible prior to bed is a good idea. If you have to eat before bed I would stick with the peanut butter but ditch the protein shake in favor of some sort of food-based protein. Whey can stimulate insulin a fair amount without any added carbs. My two cents.....
Old 04-19-2006, 08:37 PM   #4

Profile:
thanks daniel for the advice...i am on the same tract as you..sometimes i feel that i have a tape worm in my stomach, cause i am always hungry.and my fiber intakes are just about 25 gm a day..so at night, like i said i always seem to munch on nuts and such....
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 PM   #5

Profile:
jon i can agree with you about the insulin jack you can get from whey protein...but i am intaking a pretty basic cassein protein...120 cal, 20g pro, no carbs or added sugars..do you still have the same thoughts??
Old 04-19-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
Ross Hunt

Profile:
The peanut butter is good--fat will make the food stick around in your belly longer while you're sleeping. Casein rocks--shake, cottage cheese, whatever.

Eating more than a shake is OK if muscle gain is something you're trying to do. I don't know anything about your biology, but I'm about two years older than you and I try to eat enough (5 meals a day) that I never really get the tapeworm feeling.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:59 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I have to eat at about 9pm. I have plain yogert with crushed walnuts and a little vanilla extract, sweetened with a little stevia. I eat dinner at about 7pm and workout at 7am, not eating 12 prior to a workout (especially a wod) does not do great things for me; although Robb and Dr. G. may disagree. If I were you I would stabilize myself on the Zone diet. Once your eating 5 perfect Zone meals a day, then start manipulating variables like extended fasting or food intake timing.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 AM   #8
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
If it's straight casein it would probably be less problematic than whey.

It may be a good idea to use fitday.com to log your food intake for a couple of days. You may not be consuming enough calories - which would lead to hunger at night (been there, done that). If you decide to take this route, post the log or link in this thread. I'm sure some of the knowledgeable folks on the board would be happy to give you some pointers.