CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-12-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
Michael Carroll

Profile:
ACL Rupture and miniscus tear :(

A week before Xmas I tore my ACL and my medial miniscus. Doing PT for a month to regain flexibility and strength then I'm off to get the surgery.Has anyone on here been through a similar injury that can give any advice on recovery, what to expect or anything.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:41 AM   #2
Zach Long

Profile:
Re: ACL Rupture and miniscus tear :(

First month ROM, beginning of strengthening, getting gait normalized
First three months lots of strength work
3+ months before being back to even starting jogging and plyometrics
Depending on individual (goals, progress, activity level etc), rehab total 4-8 months with you then needing to consistently work on your own
Old 01-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Michael Carroll

Profile:

Wow that's alot faster then my PT and Doctor said recovery would be a year.

Are you able to run with weight like a rucksack or weight vest?
Old 01-13-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Zach Long

Profile:

the formal rehab doesn't usually last that long but yes recovery is typically a year plus process

you will be able to run with weight vest SEVERAL months down the road.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Michael Carroll

Profile:

Thanks for you responses. I am really nervous about recovery and how it will effect my job and my life. My job requires me to be fit and in general I am a very active person.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #6
Zach Long

Profile:

Depending on job responsibilities you very well may have some problems in the first couple months post-op. Make sure this is discussed with your surgeon
Old 01-15-2015, 12:22 PM   #7
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

If you've been Crossfitting a while, recovery should go pretty smoothly, as Zach described. It did for me. Was doing strength work by 7-8 week mark and light plyometric work by 9-10 week mark. Started light jogging before 3 month mark, and was doing some sprinting by 4.5 months. A lot comes down to attitude, frequency of rehab and getting full ROM back as soon as possible. Focus on getting full extension ROM - that's the key. Your knee will still feel a bit strange for a year or so until the proprioception comes all the way back, but in my case, I was playing sports in a brace before the 6 month mark, and after about 18 months I forgot about it. The only time I ever think about it now (4+ years later) is when I've really beaten on it with lots of box jumps, squatting, etc. when the knee gets slightly sore (I had to have about 30% of my meniscus removed).
Old 01-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
Michael Carroll

Profile:

Thanks I have been doing crossfit for a while so your comments really help keep my confidence up.

I have been considering buying an exercise bike to help keep my cardio up and hopefully I don't lose to much speed over the recovery time. Do you guys recommend any certain type?

I have been searching craigslist for an Airdyne but i wonder if a recumbent bike might be better (the kind that your legs are out in front of you) I also noticed a lot of cheaper visions of the Airdyne at Walmart but I am not sure if they are any good. Stamina and Marcy. Might be a better question in the equipment section.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Ari's timeline is accurate for most people, don't feel the need to get back before 6 months to high intensity twisting and pivoting sports. Some data suggesting people returning too soon and risk reinjury when waiting a few more weeks or even months to get more strength and proprioception may have helped. Also I would not put typical crossfit workouts in that category and it can help recover with the strength training before 6 months. Good luck. Ari would you agree you kept getting stronger even after 6 months?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Sherwood View Post
If you've been Crossfitting a while, recovery should go pretty smoothly, as Zach described. It did for me. Was doing strength work by 7-8 week mark and light plyometric work by 9-10 week mark. Started light jogging before 3 month mark, and was doing some sprinting by 4.5 months. A lot comes down to attitude, frequency of rehab and getting full ROM back as soon as possible. Focus on getting full extension ROM - that's the key. Your knee will still feel a bit strange for a year or so until the proprioception comes all the way back, but in my case, I was playing sports in a brace before the 6 month mark, and after about 18 months I forgot about it. The only time I ever think about it now (4+ years later) is when I've really beaten on it with lots of box jumps, squatting, etc. when the knee gets slightly sore (I had to have about 30% of my meniscus removed).
Old 01-18-2015, 07:13 AM   #10
Michael Carroll

Profile:

How much strength and speed did you lose and did it ever come back 100%?