CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
Michael Prather

Profile:
Groin Strain

I've been dealing with groin pain for about 6 months. I went to see my doctor who had recently operated on my inguinal hernia on the other groin. He does not believe this is another hernia. He is calling it a groin strain and recommended rest. After 13 weeks off of working out, I still experience discomfort in the low groin. My doctor attributed this to a nerve issue and says that I can resume working out and might experience "pain without detriment".

He said we could do surgery if I want but he does not want to go that route. As an alternative, he suggested steroid injections to address the discomfort.

The level of the pain is such that it is not an issue or an impediment to working out. My concern is that I'll be doing damage to something. Has anyone experienced this injury or the injection therapy? I'm wondering if this is just something I'll have to manage as I return to training. Thanks.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Sonia Souza

Profile:
Re: Groin Strain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Prather View Post
I've been dealing with groin pain for about 6 months. I went to see my doctor who had recently operated on my inguinal hernia on the other groin. He does not believe this is another hernia. He is calling it a groin strain and recommended rest. After 13 weeks off of working out, I still experience discomfort in the low groin. My doctor attributed this to a nerve issue and says that I can resume working out and might experience "pain without detriment".

He said we could do surgery if I want but he does not want to go that route. As an alternative, he suggested steroid injections to address the discomfort.

The level of the pain is such that it is not an issue or an impediment to working out. My concern is that I'll be doing damage to something. Has anyone experienced this injury or the injection therapy? I'm wondering if this is just something I'll have to manage as I return to training. Thanks.
With a groin strain you have muscles that were broken down (strained). When the healing starts with sprain/strains you get scar tissue that is laid down in a random pattern within those tissues. The randomization of scar tissue will restrict the normal lengthening of muscles. I would recommend finding an ART (active release technique | activerelease.com) provider in your area who can evaluate and treat the groin strain accordingly. ART is designed to break down those adhesions that form within the muscles after a strain. It is very specific to the tissue he or she is treating and has been shown to be very effective for these types of injuries. My fiance uses ART in his practice and sees great results with similar injuries. Good luck and I hope you feel better.