CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #71
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: best thing for fat burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
About hormones and insulin, that is exactly why im fasting and also follow carb backloading method.
Just remember carb back loading is not an excuse to eat a bunch of junk. Eating well until the evening and then eating junk will not produce the desired results.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:15 AM   #72
Jason Kelley

Profile:

Sorry I missed out a couple of words. I didn't mean to suggest LISS in one state or other will burn more kcal than the other.
I was suggesting different exercise intensities would.

Quote:
it is much faster to not eat 500 calories then try to burn an extra 500 calories a day
Obviously. But we are assuming one eats the same whether the fast or are non-fasting, do Liss or HITT (or anywhere in between).

Quote:
your body should start to break down stored fat
That happens in non-fasted state also.

But my point wasn't so much about fasted v non fasted. It was more about LISS whilst fasted. My point being you could well burn more fat fed doing HITT over the same period of time. Fasted LISS isn't magic. Other options maybe better if done properly.

Last edited by Jason Kelley : 01-22-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #73
Jeff Enge

Profile:

On the topic of fasted LISS, I would think using it as supplemental to a workout program rather than instead of HIIT or other method would be the best way to utilize it. You don't even really have to change timing of food at all, just get up a little earlier and take a walk before breakfast, making sure you eat your normal breakfast and not extra because the exercise made you more hungry.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 AM   #74
Jason Kelley

Profile:

^absolutely
Old 02-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #75
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post

I think what you are getting at is the question of where those calories come from. If you work in a fasted state with an empty stomach there are only 3 places for your body to get energy. The first two are stored sugar in the muscles and liver; usually from previously eaten food. The third is what we are after and that is stored body fat broken down in the liver.

Just remember it is much faster to not eat 500 calories then try to burn an extra 500 calories a day. Abs are exposed and hidden in the kitchen.
Agree with you about the kitchen!

Also would add that he other place energy comes from is from generation of glucose from body protein, lactate and a few other substrates (GNG). Depending on the workout intensity, it can be around 50% of the blood sugar especially as the duration increases.

Fasted performance will never be equal fed performance, and therefore calories burned will suffer. It should be low intensity to avoid the pit-falls.

But that said it's easy to lose initial fat mass by a host of methods. Everything works. Its when you start getting lean it becomes harder. Then nothing seems to work. As well you being to question whether you even want to get leaner, even if it is more ideal, healthier, will give you a higher strength to weight ratio, improve performance, etc.